No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Licio Zanetti? Bowl in Deep Plum/Ivory/Crystal Clear Glass – Info please  (Read 2074 times)

Offline PortRookie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
I recently found this stunning glass bowl at a flea market.  The signature ( see photo) identifies the artist as Licio Zanetti if indeed the signature is genuine.  A second opinion on this would be appreciated.

The high quality bowl (see photos) reminds me of an open form conch shell (maybe my imagination).  The bowl is mainly deep plum and ivory with narrow filaments of crystal clear glass radiating in a sinuous manner from the coiled glass knot form.  This centre piece has maximum horizontal dimensions of 30 cm (12in) by 25cm (10 in) with a maximum height of  12.5cm (5in) and sits on a small clear glass circular base on which is the signature.

I have no idea as to the history of the bowl although a 13in Licio Vanetti vase with identical colourway  and which could easily be considered a companion piece to this bowl sold  at the  New York Design Centre (Google images search for Licio Vanetti).

If anyone has any additional information or musings on this work of art I would love to hear from them. I personally wonder if this distinctive deep plum/ivory/ clear glass construct is from a known period of Lucio Zannetti's work.  I also wonder if these types of pieces were maybe commissioned by a high-end US retail outlet.

For insurance purposes, I note with interest that the Vase sold (date unknown) at a price reduced from $1850 (final price unknown).  Is this value a reasonable or a totally unreasonable ball park figure?

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this post.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Welcome to the forum.

The signature looks fine to me, I think we have had an example on this board before (you can use the search function here to look), plenty more can be found by googling. I have little idea about a value but that sounds somewhat on the high side to me, keep a regular eye on auctions and the like to build an impression for price.

John

Offline PortRookie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
Thanks John

The colourway of this piece is so distinctive thought it would be easy to find more examples.  Will keep looking.  As to price, also thought price quoted was a little high but New York is New York :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
A search of past auctions on http://www.liveauctioneers.com/ brings up a handful of pieces of a comparable style that ended between $125-200. You have to create an account to see the final prices, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand