Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Pink satin glass vase... ID = Sowerby 2437 drape vase

(1/5) > >>

Anne:
Hi all,

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've found a pink satin vase which I'd like to ID the maker if possible. Does anyone recognise the design please?
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-93
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-92

Thanks in hope! :)

Bernard C:
Hi Anne,

Yes, it is a rather interesting Sowerby design, pattern No. 2437, launched, I believe, in flint (not colour) and in three sizes in the company's 1927 trade catalogue.

You need a bit of history to appreciate this design.    The Adam Dodds following was the grandfather of Adam Dodds, without whose contributions this glass message board would be a considerably poorer forum.

Adam Dodds, Sowerby's general manager from 1907 until his untimely demise in 1929, was responsible for the launch of Tynesyde Glassware in the late 1920s.   After a Czechoslovakian designer by the name of Schottner and two Czechoslovakian mouldmakers joined the company, the range expanded with the launch of many new designs every year from 1931 until the outbreak of war.   Tynesyde Glassware is a mix of classic Art Deco, milder Deco styles, and imitation cut - an interesting reflection of the conservatism of the principal customer base - the British public.

I am not entirely sure whether 2437 was pre-Tynesyde Glassware or not.   If it was then it is a fairly classic late '20s design incorporating swags and not attempting to emulate cut glass.   If not then it was an mild Deco design aimed at the cheaper end of the market.    Whatever, it survived into the Tynesyde Glassware range of the 1930s.

All of these I have seen have been the 7½" version in satin pink, probably dating from the mid-'30s, and all probably one big order from such as the Co-op or Woolworths.

I would not recommend it as an investment - it is rather difficult to sell.   However, any Sowerby collection without one is missing out on a classic example of the transition to Tynesyde Glassware.

Watch out for other versions, which would be more attractive to collectors.   In particular, the two other sizes and examples in Carnival glass, all of which will have a scarcity value.   Also watch out for pattern 2437½ from the same mould but slightly less flared.

See also Dodsworth, Roger, British Glass between the Wars (BGbtW) for an identical vase, exhibit No. 166 (described but not illustrated in the exhibition catalogue).

I can't think of anything else.   Hope that is okay.

Bernard C.  8)

Glen:
The Carnival version of this vase stands 10 inches high and is known with two mouth shapings: incurved and slightly flared outwards. I have only seen examples in black amethyst Carnival. It is a much sought after vase in Carnival and is seldom seen. It's known as "Sowerby Drape" but has an alter-ego as "(Lady) Cynthia".

Glen

ps Nice to see  Adam A. and Bernard at the Glass Fair on Sunday.

Anne:
Oooh Bernard, that's great info thank you so much. I don't mind at all if it's not valuable or collectable... I just like it! :)

Mine is, as you said most were, 7½ inches high in pink satin glass, but it's nice to know who made it and a little more about it. The closest I'd seen in design was a pink satin glass Czech-made vase, so the Czech influence isn't a surprise at all, although I wasn't aware that Sowerby had Czech designer/mouldmakers. (I'm still learning!)

I'll keep my eyes open for other sizes and Carnival versions although (and I'll probably be considered odd for saying this!) I don't particularly like Carnival glass myself. Satin and clear coloured glass has always been my thing.  :D

Thanks again for the great info... much appreciated.

Glen:
Oh thank you Anne. I love to hear that people don't like Carnival Glass. That leaves the coast clear for me to nab it all (I wish  :lol: ).

Just a little thought to bear in mind though - the Carnival "Sowerby Drape" vases have a value in the region of $450 to possibly $900 each, depending on the quality of iridescence etc. So if you see one, leave it alone and let me know where to find it  :lol:

Glen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version