No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink satin glass vase... ID = Sowerby 2437 drape vase  (Read 14053 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Pink satin glass vase... ID = Sowerby 2437 drape vase
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 08:13:18 PM »
Hi Anne,
Quote from: "In [i
Sowerby Gateshead Glass[/i], p.39, Simon Cottle"]A young Sudeten German, Herr Schottner, was recruited as a designer in the early 1920s. He was responsible for the design of a flower bowl and block surmounted by a nude female figure. Chocolate manufacturers, such as Cadbury's, bought thousands of these bowls and sold them for 2s.6d. each with confectionary arranged around the centrepiece and a ribbon tied over the figure.

This has become embellished over the years to the claim that the roses in the bowl were the source of the name for Cadbury's assortment.   There is no proof of this to my knowledge, but it's quite possible - a harmless story that is in wide circulation.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 10:11:23 PM »
Some years ago, when I was researching for one of our books, I made contact with Cadbury's regarding this. They kindly searched their archives quite extensively, but could find no records to confirm the story. I would suggest that it is simply hearsay.....and a nice story, but with no basis that could be proved.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 09:56:13 AM »
Bernard and Glen, thank you for the further information on the bowl/Cadbury connection. I was not aware of this marketing connection but it explains the eBay listing. The three items are listed with a starting price of £80 - which I thought initially was on the high side, but is it?  Is it the fact that the bowl and figure are complete and match the vases the reason for this, as I didn't pay very much for my vase alone?  Also, would the figurine have had the holes around the base to hold flower stalks? (As you can probably tell, this is a whole new area for me!  :roll: ) Thanks for your continued help.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 03:17:53 PM »
Hi Anne, I just come across this post.  The lady and bowl in question come up quite often on ebay, and personally I feel £80 is a very high price, even with 2 vases.  As it happens I actually have the same lady & bowl set (without vases), which I will be listing on Ebay tonight with a start price of £14.99.  If you like I'll post a link to the item on here when I get chance.  Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'm sure it will finish at a lot less than £80.

By the way, I had read somewhere that there is a Czech made version of this lady, does anyone know if this is true?

Best wishes & Merry Xmas everyone!

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2004, 12:18:33 AM »
How did they get the name of frog? Hardly froglike are they, or is it that they sit in the water bowl I wonder?

Bernard, I quite understand your POV on live listings, and I apologise, it was thoughtless of me to comment on this whilst the auction was live.

Wayne, thank you for your extra info, and for your wonderfully informative website. I've just spent around an hour browsing the encyclopaedia and have seen several familiar designs - ones either I or my mother have - some being in items/colours  you don't have pictures of  - would photos of them be of use for the encyclopaedia? If so I'd be happy to send you some.

A very merry Christmas to everyone.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2004, 10:55:28 PM »
Hi Anne, thank you for the compliments about the website!  I plan to add loads more info when I can find time, but thanks to eBay I seem to spend most of my time packing up glass for posting!  I would love to add any pictures you can send, as long as it's not too much trouble for you.

I've got the pink Sowerby lady and bowl item listed on ebay now if you're interested.  The following link should take you to it:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3771797467

As for your question on why flower frogs are called 'frogs', I'm not exactly sure.  As far as I am aware, it was a slang term that became popular, probably for the reason you mention, that they 'sit in water'.

Best wishes, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!!

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 10:30:45 AM »
I had never heard of the word "frog" until I joined this message board!

At Sowerby's and Davidson's we called them (and sold them as) flower blocks for the round and oval heavy things and flower holders for the other, variously shaped things.  The word "flower" was naturally omitted in everyday usage.

I can only assume that "frog", like "cranberry" is something dreamed up by collectors.

Adam D.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 10:46:20 AM »
That's interesting Adam, thank you for clarifying it. On a whim I checked my Universal Dictionary and frog is defined there as "A spiked or perforated object placed in a container and used to support stems in a decorative floral arrangement", but there is no etymology for this particular usage so I still don't know where it started. :roll:

Quote from: "Wayne"
I would love to add any pictures you can send, as long as it's not too much trouble for you.

No problem, I'll snaffle the digicam off my other half and see what I can do. :)

Quote from: "Wayne"
I've got the pink Sowerby lady and bowl item listed on ebay now if you're interested.

It's lovely but you're listing at the wrong time! ... it's just after Xmas and I (and probably others!) am all spent up... unless I can persuade my other half he'd like it for his birthday next week I may have to pass at the moment.  :wink:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 12:52:10 PM »
"Frog" is applied to all sorts of things, apart from glass and flowers, that comprise a means of keeping things in place. My references say that the origin of the term is not known but goes back far in the past.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Pink satin glass vase... ID = Sowerby 2437 drape vase
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
The dark purple almost black glass version of this vase with an almost silver mirror like outer surface.

It measures 9 1/2 inches with a rim diameter of 4 inches and foot diameter if 4 1/2 inches.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand