Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Pink satin glass vase... ID = Sowerby 2437 drape vase

<< < (3/5) > >>

Bernard C:
Hi Anne,

--- Quote from: "In [i ---Sowerby Gateshead Glass[/i], p.39, Simon Cottle"]A young Sudeten German, Herr Schottner, was recruited as a designer in the early 1920s. He was responsible for the design of a flower bowl and block surmounted by a nude female figure. Chocolate manufacturers, such as Cadbury's, bought thousands of these bowls and sold them for 2s.6d. each with confectionary arranged around the centrepiece and a ribbon tied over the figure.
--- End quote ---

This has become embellished over the years to the claim that the roses in the bowl were the source of the name for Cadbury's assortment.   There is no proof of this to my knowledge, but it's quite possible - a harmless story that is in wide circulation.

Bernard C.  8)

Glen:
Some years ago, when I was researching for one of our books, I made contact with Cadbury's regarding this. They kindly searched their archives quite extensively, but could find no records to confirm the story. I would suggest that it is simply hearsay.....and a nice story, but with no basis that could be proved.

Glen

Anne:
Bernard and Glen, thank you for the further information on the bowl/Cadbury connection. I was not aware of this marketing connection but it explains the eBay listing. The three items are listed with a starting price of £80 - which I thought initially was on the high side, but is it?  Is it the fact that the bowl and figure are complete and match the vases the reason for this, as I didn't pay very much for my vase alone?  Also, would the figurine have had the holes around the base to hold flower stalks? (As you can probably tell, this is a whole new area for me!  :roll: ) Thanks for your continued help.

Wayne:
Hi Anne, I just come across this post.  The lady and bowl in question come up quite often on ebay, and personally I feel £80 is a very high price, even with 2 vases.  As it happens I actually have the same lady & bowl set (without vases), which I will be listing on Ebay tonight with a start price of £14.99.  If you like I'll post a link to the item on here when I get chance.  Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'm sure it will finish at a lot less than £80.

By the way, I had read somewhere that there is a Czech made version of this lady, does anyone know if this is true?

Best wishes & Merry Xmas everyone!

Anne:
How did they get the name of frog? Hardly froglike are they, or is it that they sit in the water bowl I wonder?

Bernard, I quite understand your POV on live listings, and I apologise, it was thoughtless of me to comment on this whilst the auction was live.

Wayne, thank you for your extra info, and for your wonderfully informative website. I've just spent around an hour browsing the encyclopaedia and have seen several familiar designs - ones either I or my mother have - some being in items/colours  you don't have pictures of  - would photos of them be of use for the encyclopaedia? If so I'd be happy to send you some.

A very merry Christmas to everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version