No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help - is this a Holmegaard Per Lutken Gulvvase ?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline KJM

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Help - is this a Holmegaard Per Lutken Gulvvase ?
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

I do not have a clue about glassware or antiques or anything of that nature, so please forgive me if I am asking a stupid question!

I bought a flat last year and among the furniture/belongings left was an amber glass vase. I am in the process of selling the things (as I have new furniture arriving) and while the furniture was easy to value as it was all IKEA's finest, the vase proved more difficult. After a few google searches for similar items, I came across the Holmegaard Per Lutken Gulvase, and mine is the spitting image. It has the same dimensions, but no sticker to confirm identity.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how I would go about establishing whether this is the real deal or just a cheap copy? I do not want to sell it for £10 only to find it was worth far more!

Many Thanks  :)

Kirsty

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum Kirsty

Reply to this topic and post a photograph of the vase, then we can give you our opinion.

John

Meanwhile, here is a (long) list of Gulvase colours and sizes: http://www.hardernet.dk/Artglass/Gulvvaser-Otto_Brauer_KG_FG_1959-1980.htm

Offline KJM

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply-how stupid of me not to include a picture!

Hopefully attached now-it is the only one I have of the vase currently. Looking on that list (which was great :) ) it has the same dimensions  (height and diameter-I haven't any scales to weigh it) as the 5th one down the list-ref number 57 00 44. 

Kirsty

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »
Looks fine to me but photographed from that angle angle it is hard to be sure. If the proportions match as well as the dimensions then all is ok.
Any two matching vases will not have weights that are exactly the same, there is sometimes quite a big difference.

Offline KJM

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
Wow thanks glassobsessed :) won't bother finding some scales then!

I can get a picture at a different angle when I go home tonight from work. It does look identical, but being totally ignorant I wanted expert opinions before I sold it.

Offline KJM

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »
Hopefully this is a better angle to confirm ID?

Offline kimo

• Members
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:17:01 AM »
Hi Kirsty.

I see in your photo that you have some flowers in your vase.  Does it have any water staining or residues or such from being used?  If so that would reduce the resale value.  If not and it is in perfect condition with not even a slight chip or noticeable scratch anywhere, doing a quick search of completed auctions on Ebay for ones that actually sold - not ones where the owners were asking delusional starting bids - I see one in this color that sold on July 10 after 12 bids for $29 which is just a small bit more than your thought of selling it for £10, once you take into account the auction fees and the time and effort to run the auction and take the risk of it breaking in the post on the way to the buyer.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLMEGAARD-GLASS-AMBER-GULVASE-GUL-VASE-OTTO-BAUER-10-1-4-034-/390875818221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0203a8ed&nma=true&si=Oxyzgc4ISZyuUDdbMt7Xsr9%252BJwg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Offline KJM

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »
Hi Kimo,

The flowers were fake-no water required  ;) It is full of dust so will need to give it a clean before inspecting for marks/scratches which I realise would affect the value. I would imagine the previous owner only used it for fake flowers as he only occupied the property a few days a week and so it wouldn't have been beneficial to have real ones.

Thanks

Kirsty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand