Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Poland

Date Josephinenhutte adopted "JH" Crown Mark?

(1/1)

KatW:
Hello - I believe Josephinenhutte was really made in Poland - I apologize if this is the wrong category.

I have several beautiful pieces from the Josephinenhutte/Josair series "Josephine" which I have today learned was designed by Sigfried Haertel around 1905. The examples that I was able to find online today (all very antique) do not seem to have a maker's mark on them - and the parties selling the items reference the work of Stefania Zelasko at The Karkonosze Museum to support that their Josephine items are authentic.

My glasses have the "JH" inside a shield below a crown sandblasted mark - and I am wondering if anyone knows when Josephinenhutte adopted the mark? I am trying to date my set as close as I can - and have come across some confusion as some online sources say Josephine was discontinued in 1958 while others say 1981.

Any and all help appreciated!
Thanks so much -

jumper:
Hello,

Josephinenhütte - exactly spelling "Graf (or Gräflich) Schaffgotsch'sche Josephinenhütte" - has its origin in Schlesien (Silesia), Petersdorf and Schreiberhau im Riesengebirge, and it was German territory until 1945. It has been rebuilt in Schwäbisch Gmünd (West Germany) from 1950/51.

You will find lots of samples here:

http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Josephinenhuette.43.0.html.

I only know paper labels with "Josephinehütte". The sand blasted version I never saw until now. The special forms of the lettertypes "JH" seem to be not older than 1960, but I wouldn't say it absolutely.

Best regards
jumper

KatW:
Thanks a million, Jumper - I really appreciate the information!

Frank:
Sandblasting marks were generally adopted c1980 for health & safety reasons.

KatW:

--- Quote from: Frank on August 10, 2014, 03:26:08 PM ---Sandblasting marks were generally adopted c1980 for health & safety reasons.

--- End quote ---

Good to know - thank you so much, Frank!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version