No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Found this blown glass vase today, would love any info. ID = Made in China  (Read 7444 times)

Offline kathykate

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • All but love Scandinavian
    • UK
Re: Found this blown glass vase today, would love any info. ID = Made in China
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 03:45:44 PM »
Wow, thanks for the update! Isn't the web a marvellous thing for research. I do like to know the origins of my bits and pieces, so now the puzzle is solved. Thank you very much.
Regards
Kate

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
We must not therefore underestimate the Chinese glassmakers abiity to make some very nice quality stuff then - it would seem. I'm aware through my own experiences of various theories of the origin of high quality glass from South America and probably Naples, possibly under the influence of glass makers from elsewhere (such as Poland and Italy), and also to some extent China with input from craftsmen from elsewhere.

Not sure why I underestimate the Chinese makers ability to make high quality glass themselves though, as they appear to have as much glassmaking history as anywhere else does. I suppose it's the fact that the Chinese are notorious for rampant 'copying' which has a tendancy to undermine their genuine ability to make something worthwhile. Either that or I'm a latent racist... I guess we in the West have spent some time now underestimating the abilities of China.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
Yes, we need to realise that all the European glassworks which have closed down had highly skilled glassmakers, and that loss of workplaces in their home countries means some of those skilled glassmakers will have gone to work for Chinese glassworks and taken their skills with them.  That will significantly raise the quality of Chinese glassware, as we are seeing with many recent examples.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »
There isn't really much of a history of glassmaking in China, it never really took off, ceramics and porcelain were more the thing there. There are the odd bits around of very old chinese glass, in some museums, but not much.

It was the "invention" of glass in the western world that allowed science to develop into what it is.

Prisms for splitting light; clear vessels which could have the air inside them pumped out to create vacuums; lenses for seeing tiny things and for seeing the planets and the stars.

Science happened in the western world because of glass.
What would the world look like if science had been taking place, perhaps even earlier, in China rather than here?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand