No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What attribution would you give this?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
What attribution would you give this?
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:06:50 PM »
Peoples thoughts on this weight would be interesting,,,,, maker and or date please.  The whole base is concave not just the grind out as the photo shows.
    Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: What attribution would you give this?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:40:00 AM »
Possibly by Gentile Glass of Star City, West Virginia (USA). 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »

Hi.  I recall a talk by Gary McClanahan at a PCA Convention around 10 years ago in which he talked about the US Mid West glass factories, some of which had made frit paperweights broadly in this style. He said he had identified over 100 different factories which had made some frit paperweights, at various times throughout the last 100 years or more....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your comments, and two good websites to scan through as well.
   Bought this at a reasonable price as a curiosity, it was advertised as an Antique Millville frit weight. Regards Roger

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
Your best bet is to find a signed example using the same pattern or a museum that has the original die.  I think it is unlikely to be Millville with that base.  Also, you can see if the surface collects moisture and has an oily feel after sitting undisturbed for a year or more.  That is more common with Gentile examples. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:51 PM »
Thanks Allan,took a look at your site with the ice pick weight and the colours look the same, the shape is very similar and the base is virtually the same type (I should not have put that the base is concave as it is not it is naturally flat with a ground out pontil).
       The motif suggests to me a slightly older version, 1960s??
         Regards Roger the bodger.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »
I have trouble dating these weights... the motto weights were probably in the offering for quite a long time.

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
Possibly by Gentile Glass of Star City, West Virginia (USA). 
Alan, I thank you for posting this info ..I always thought Gentile marked all their weights.. So this made me look back at some notes I had made years and years ago when researching Gentile ...and found that it is thought that Peter Gentile did not sign his..!!!!  I had forgotten that!!!  (my memory is not what it used to be...LOL)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »
I should have been more precise.  The Gentile family made paperweights since the early part of the 20th century, but it is hard to find any that date back that far.  The factory Gentile Glass was established in 1947.  Signed (some with dates) examples started in the late 1950s, but only a small fraction of the weights were signed and / or dated until 1975.  Starting in 1975 they started using the pontil stamps that were changed almost yearly for a while.  Most, if not all, paperweights produced from 1975 and later were signed this way.  Andy Dohan's book on Paperweight Signature Canes provides an excellent summary of the history including sections on Peter Gentile, John Gentile and Gertrude Gentile. 

Many designs stayed in production for many years and it may be possible to find a signed example of the "GOD BLESS OUR HOME" paperweight with a signature.  That said, the lack of a signature would most likely point to a date earlier than 1975.  So Roger wouldn't be wrong to say 1960s or older. 

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »
Thanks Allan for the additional info !!  While I no longer own any Gentile weights. .I still love to learn about them.!

(and Roger..that is a nice one!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand