No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possibly Fake L.C.T open salts ???  (Read 2524 times)

Offline sdelzer71

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • General Antiques
    • Central Valley of California
Possibly Fake L.C.T open salts ???
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:58:39 AM »
I have inherited several antique glass open salts which I was told were L.C Tiffany Studio. But after further examination, I believe that the real studio name was ground off and the LCT engraved on it. I have attached pictures, but I'm not sure you can see what I am speaking about. Some have deep cuts around the pontil, where as on legitimate ones (I have a few of those also)  are smooth. Any help would be appreciated. I was told that I needed to get them insured because of the value.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Possibly Fake L.C.T open salts ???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 06:41:23 AM »
Hi Sdelzer71, welcome to the Board.

Your first photo shows a clear, but upside down, "Lundberg Studios 1997" signature, so is it an image that you intended to include with the others?

The 2nd image shows "L. C. T." and although it is not very clear, it does not look neat enough to me to be a genuine Tiffany signature. But it's not an area I am too very familiar with.

For the other two photos I cannot see any detail of a signature at all.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
Welcome!

If you rub a tiny smidgen of talc over the engraved marks it helps to make them a lot easier to photograph and see.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline sdelzer71

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • General Antiques
    • Central Valley of California
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Thanks KevinH and Chopin, I accidentally posted the Lundberg. I will rub some talc on the etching of the LCT and repost pictures. One one you can clearly see that the bottom finish is a different color than the entire piece, as if sanded down. Another has sharp edges around the pontil deeper that I believe it should be. One also have various levels of the bottom and pontil, appearing to also been ground or sanded down then marked with the LC Tiffany.

Ok tried the Talc, but not much better. Two  have just the L.T.C etched, one has LCT H763, two  has L.C.T. Favrile or Famille?  Really need to find an appraiser near me to visually inspect them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand