No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can someone help with this teardrop vase - ID = Caithness Oban  (Read 1631 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Hi All.  Hope someone can help.  I found this small teardrop vase in Yorkshire and am trying to get some idea about date / manufacturer etc.  I'm think it's blown glass as I can feel (rather than see) a slight indentation on the base that I think could be the polished pontil.  More elliptical in shape rather than circular with strands of colour (brown and a pinkish shade) running down the inside of the vase.  It measures 7.5 inches tall (19 cms) and is 3.5 inches (9 cms) at the base.  It weighs just over 14 ozs (400 gms).  I've attached a number of images below and any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: HI - Can someone help with this teardrop vase
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »
Caithness Oban I think. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
100% Caithness Oban, not a shadow of doubt. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
Designed by Charles Orr early 1970's?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
There is an image of your exact piece on p.59 of the book; Caithness Glass; Loch, Heather and Peat.
The text under it reads;

"Five 1970s-80s Specimen Vases, no.OG18, from the Oban range, designed by Charles Orr and Peter Fuin in 1969...
The form was designed by Peter Fuin and was based on O'Broin's teardrop specimen vase. Each side was flatttened and rolled slightly on the marver table, the form was then elongated by swinging, and the base was flattened using a pad on the floor. As such, each example is unique in precise form and size. A twist could be added..."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand