No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harry Powell at his best ?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Harry Powell at his best ?
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Hi,
 Lovers of engraved glass will probably appreciate the engraving on this Goblet Vase. ( Click to enlarge and click again in lower RH corner.)
Also scroll down to see design record and Studio Year Book entry.

http://www.whitefriars.com/smf1/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=124

Regards,

Patrick.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Harry Powell at his best ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
Oh that is beautiful, Patrick!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
I agree, very nice Patrick, thanks for posting.                I'm a big fan of those Year Books -  especially those covering the nouveau and deco years.
Was this a 'one off', or was it made in a limited production run do you know. :)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »
Was this a 'one off', or was it made in a limited production run do you know. :)

Hi, I think they made a few because the Museum of London has one ............  Mine is the only other known but I am sure there are others 'Out there'

Mine surfaced at a small auction house and was bought by a dealer for £60.00.   It was then sold on at a glass fair to another dealer for £300...................  When I bought it I did have to pay MORE !

Regards,
               Patrick.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »
thanks very much.         Sorry to hear the bad news on the cost  ....   but with the possibility of such low numbers, am sure you still have a good deal. :)

Offline stevejl

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 11:12:43 PM »
Paul,
The same shape of goblet was also used for other variations, as my example below shows. This one with a colour-twist stem rather than the air-twist, and engraving of holly rather than the fish/bubbles.
I believe that Patrick's is the "better" design, but interesting to see Harry Powell experimenting with colour-twist, which he used very rarely.

Cheers,              Steve L   :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »
thanks for sharing and very nice indeed Steve  -  don't know that I'd like to say which is the 'better' design - bit subjective I suppose, but do know that I could give a very good home to either.

The fish engraving, with bubbles, on Patrick's example makes me think of the much later pieces by Hammond for T/Webb and some of those fantastic fish pieces from Stuart (don't know who the designer was tho)  -  perhaps they got their inspiration from Powell's design :)

Regret I'm not remotely in this league, but do have one of the '53 numbered Coronation goblets with the red, white and blue twist stem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand