No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Russian Lead Crystal??  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Pat

• Members
Russian Lead Crystal??
« on: May 29, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »
I bought a clock, maker Majak made in USSR probably in the 50's. The clock case is what appears to full lead crystal and very very heavy in a sunray art deco style. Would the glass have been produced in the USSR or somewhere like Poland?  Hope some of you clever glassies may know.

Pat
No retreat, No surrender.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Russian Lead Crystal??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 01:50:45 PM »
Hello Pat,

Whilst there is no reason why the glass should not be Russian, since they had (and have) their own glass industry, which included cut glass in the 1950's, it will be very difficult to identify. Very little is published and available about Russian or Soviet Glass, especially in English, so you may have to wait - or just be plain lucky that someone can help.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pat

• Members
Russian Lead Crystal??
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 02:23:07 PM »

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Russian Lead Crystal??
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:40:01 PM »
Both Voronov & Rachuk's "Soviet Glass" (Aurora, Leningrad 1973) and Asharina, Malinina & Kazakova's "Russian Glass of the 17th-20th centuries" (Corning Museum of Glass, 1990) give excellent information in English.  Kazakova's "Gus Krushtalny" (Moscow 1973) is in Russian and somewhat hard to find.

Your clock does not feature in any of these.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Russian Lead Crystal??
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 02:49:12 PM »
I have quite a few books and stuff on Russian Glass but short on time this week so will come back to this in the future.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Russian Lead Crystal??
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 08:41:44 PM »
Hi Pat, perhaps also a photo of the clock itself and its back and its mechanism could help further? I'm no expert but it is interesting nevertheless - thank you! And perhaps... we have a hiding expert also for that?  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Russian Lead Crystal??
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »
*Bump*  - Frank did you manage to locate the Russian glass info you mention in this thread?

See also thread here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8956.msg75739.html#msg75739
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 04:54:43 PM »
Forgot about this... I have just completed a pass through all of my crates and know that the Russian stuff is now right on the bottom  :-\ But while I was not looking for this type of glass I cannot say that I recall noticing anything like it.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 05:43:10 PM »
Thanks Frank

Offline sovglart

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Europe
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 04:39:54 PM »
Super old thread and I don't know much about clocks, but just out of curiosity made a quick research.

Clock itself is not very common, took me some time to find a similar one. Production of another "legendary" Majak round shaped crystal cased clock was first launched in 1965, so it is likely that production of both clock models started around the same time. Letters and numbers on the back of the clock can provide some clues on topic.

It is theoretically possible that lead crystal case was made in Poland and brought to USSR, but it is very unlikely and overall quite impractical. Majak clock factory was geographically located quite close to one of the oldest and largest glass factories in USSR and according to info that I have found lead crystal case for a round shaped clock was made there. Would be logical to assume that all lead crystal clock details for other clock models were also made there.

The glass factory name is "Krasny Gigant" or "Red Giant". Initially founded in 1764(1763 by some sources) by A. I. Bakhmetev (other transliterations Bahmetev or Bakhméteff), factory got "Red Giant" name after the revolution in 1920s.
Unfortunately there is almost no info online. Reliable identification of their products is quite limited and difficult at the moment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand