No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb?  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Webb?
« on: May 30, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
Is it Webb?

ebay
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Webb?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 04:34:01 PM »
Looks Bohemian to me  :?
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Webb?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »
They make them there too  :o

How do you tell the difference between the two? http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib2ad.htm
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
Webb?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 05:19:02 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
They make them there too  :o

How do you tell the difference between the two?

If you are talking about Burmese, then the following article might help: http://www.glassfairs.co.uk/Articles/burmese.htm

One obvious giveaway that it isn't by Webb's, is the fact that it doesn't have a polished pontil.
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Webb?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 06:41:44 PM »
That was very interesting, Thanks David.  :D

There is so much I need to learn about glass and so little time.  :(

Did someone move this from the glass Museum Cafe, I thought I had posted it there?  :?

I can't talk about the three C's now (coffee, cats and chocolate). Just as well as it'll probably make me hungry.  :D

Offline David555

• Members
Webb?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 11:29:42 PM »
Hi Tiger

The first thing I thought when I looked at the photo is 'Thomas Webb & Sons – Queen’s Burmese Ware'

It was only a thought however, as on further inspection the quality is just not there, I mean the deep warmth of Burmese Ware glass, the colour, design and enamel decoration are not there.

L Jackson (20th C Factory Glass), describes Burmese Ware as shaded from lemon to pink.

It could well be a UK company of the same time - Burmese Ware was so sought after it was copied mercilessly, often in the wrong colour scheme.

Great site David - I enjoyed the articles and photos.

I had the idea that Burmese Ware had some radioactive properties? I must be getting confused with another type of glass (not Vaseline)

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Webb?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 12:20:24 AM »
The eBay item is NOT "Burmese ware". And I think Leni was spot on.

Perhaps Tiger's reference to the Great Glass site Webb's section was in relation to the couple of shaded white/lemon-to-yellow vases with enamelled floral decoration? At least, those are, I think, the closest comparison to the eBay one.

If anyone would like to add to, or correct, my comments below, please do so.

David H's point about the unfinished base is very pertinent in relation to Webb's. Another factor, partcularly when handling items like these, is that the English (and certainly (?) Webb's) versions will have a solid foot, whereas the Eurpean (Bohemian) items most often have a hollow foot and are usually mould formed. This is something that Cyril Manley commented on and does seem to be generally accurate.

Back to Burmese ware, there is another very obvious clue to say that the eBay item is not in this category. It has a white inner layer which is clearly seen in the folded rim. Burmese wares did not have a white inner. But Webb's "Peachblow" did, as did American versions of Peachblow. But Peachblow is not virtually-white shading to orange or yellow. It's the colour of peaches, shaded from "gentle" to "solid". So the eBay piece is not Peachblow, either.

In the Great Glass site, there are several examples of Burmese items shown and the difference between those and the eBay vase is very obvious.

A typical feature of items such as the eBay vase (or jug) is that the handle is frosted clear glass. English versions may also have used frosted handles, but the Bohemian (and later Czech ones??) seem to have made the most use of this.

We had a lengthy discussion on Burmese / Peachblow (etc) in a message some time ago, but I can't seem to locate it - maybe it was in the earlier version of the Board? But Jim Sapp posted a message in Sep 2005 (which I can't seem to get the link to!!) about his site for Burmese fairy lamps, which shows various examples of Webb's Burmese ( http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Fairylamp/WebbDecorationsFinal.html ).

A final point is that had the eBay jug-vase been Burmese, then at that size, it would have taken a bit more than £6.51 - more like £651.00!! Even so, the £6.51 was still relatively cheap, as similar items often (or used to) sell for up to £50 in UK fairs.
KevinH

Offline David555

• Members
Webb?
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 02:19:13 AM »
Agreed Kev

it is not 'Burmese Ware' for all the reasons you state and put very basically the colour is not right.

L Jackson (20th C Factory Glass), describes Burmese Ware as shaded from lemon to pink

I have had similar pieces of would be Burmese Ware in the past with British marks, the triffid style handle on the ebay item is worth remarking upon.

I agree many copies and interpretations were made in Eastern Europe, but there were some British companies as well - some better than others.

These had England stamped on base (4"high) & not by Webb (sold on ages ago)

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Webb?
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 06:58:01 AM »
Burmese ware is not unique to Webb because it was actually a process licensed from Mount Washington Glass Co in the USA. It also contains uranium and therefore fluoresces under UV. (Sources Skelcher and Woodward)

Webb do seem to have to have done some cased stuff, again containing uranium, but it seems to have been in three layers. Inner ivory, next white and outer variable. Inner and outer layers seem to have contained uranium (source Skelcher)

Offline David555

• Members
Webb?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 04:21:01 PM »
Thanks Christine

I was hoping you would come in on the slight radioactive (uranium content) quality of Burmese Ware.

Excellent information

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand