No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Harbridge 1930's art deco cut glass vase perhaps missing it's frog .  (Read 6068 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
quite round Sue  -  both these supports are round,although I appreciate screen pix can sometimes make shapes appear differently.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
There was a shop in Crieff that sold secondary market cut glass - but it was always just traditional stuff, there hardly ever was anything of interest. I did spend some time studying an oval shaped vase with a frog like the first one you showed, with the bites out of the edges. It was sort of interesting, but not something I'd have paid £15 for, or given house room.
I'm sure I've seen things like the images from Kew you posted, in the back room of Oxfam. I didn't know what they were - I think I suspected something to do with a toothbrush holder. I honestly cannot remember if I priced and sold them, or if I binned them. There was a minimum price policy, so if it wasn't going to raise 99p it would get binned; and I never put out damaged glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hi Sue  -  as you'll know, there is a vast amount of pressed material out there which was partnered by supports and frogs - just think of the Bagley and Davidson vases.          But bona fide cut supports seem to be really quite rare.

quote............   "it would get binned"  ....   oh gosh - more history being thrown away. ;D

Couldn't you please go back and work in the shop so that you can find some good pieces for us ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I was only making the point that even if these things do turn up in charity shops, it is unlikely they'll end up being put out on the shelves - folk won't know what they are, they'll be deemed unsaleable.
Most folk in the backs of charity shops don't even know the difference between cut and pressed glass.

I'd be back there like a shot if I was well enough, it was fun and I made a lot of good friends. But I do get "ex-worker special treatment" sometimes.
Hauled into the back shop to id something. ;)
I still find myself picking things up off the floor and putting them back on their hangers in every charity shop I'm in.  ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks for posting the designs Paul.

It must have taken a good deal of time to make a cut glass frog/support which fits . How do you make the holes in the second example ? Do you drill them out or what ? Surely it couldn't have been cost effective . Wouldn't the whole idea have been abandoned quite quickly  and if it was, then it would be more likely that your vase, Paul , dates from around the time that the frog design was registered (as you implied ) . It would also explain why cut one's are so rare. :)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Sue, sorry to hear you are still unwell , my brother has the same problem ( I read a previous post of yours , ages ago) . He can't do any excersie without a bad reaction . He can't even cut the grass (cut grass not glass  ;) ) ! He used to do cycling as a hobby /sport , caught gladular fever and has never been the same since. He thinks he has M E . There doesn't seem to be anything his doctor can do for him . It's really debilitating . Anyway I can put you in touch with him if you wish (somehow !) You might be able to compare notes .
 ;) Ta Mike.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I've found a few things that do help, Mike. I am completely ignored by my gp, who treats me with nothing but the contempt prescribed by the psychiatrist in charge of pretending the disease doesn't exist.
I've got a background in scientific research, as does my brother, and I've had time to do a lot of trial and error. I might be able to pass a some good hints on and give him links to good information
email me via the envelope in my profile, I'll give you my email address.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Sue, I will email you via your envelope. My brother lives in the States,  he too is a scientist and has spent the last 25 years trying to research his condition (he is in engineering) he too  might be able to give some pointers . Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Given the use of the term "Art Deco" in the title of this thread, I'd be very interested to hear other folks definition of the term. Not a trick; yes I have an opinion (as you might expect), But I'd like to hear what other people think before I make any comment.

Oh, if anyone feels this is high-jacking the thread, then maybe a moderator can separate it off.? Thanks  :)

Nigel

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Geometrical, with straight lines rather than curves, Nigel.
Masculine, rather than feminine.
Anything that reminds me of Macintosh is "Deco" to me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand