No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Grandma's Vase - Would love to know what it is?!?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Rich21

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Grandma's Vase - Would love to know what it is?!?
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »
Hi All

Apologies for my first post being a request for help! I'm no glass expert by any means but have a few pieces (mainly Art deco/Czech) amongst a house full of 20th Century collectables and old tat!

I have recently received the attached vase following my Grandma unfortunately passing away. She had it for as many years as we can remember but knew nothing about it's origin. Any ideas?

It measures 35cm in height and is quite heavy at around 3 kg/7lbs. It has no markings that I can see but appears to be cut rather than pressed as the edges are quite sharp. We are based in the UK so are assuming it is European.

Its got some small chips here and there, nothing major but I would love to know any kind of history on it given its background - Thanks!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Grandma's Vase - Would love to know what it is?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
Welcome to the message board Rich21.

I can not help with your vase but some more information might be useful, is the main body square or triangular? I can't quite work it out from your photo. Also, another photo showing the cutting in more detail may help to pinpoint the style and give a rough guestimate to age.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »
And it's bottom. We need to see its bottom. We are obsessed with looking at bottoms of bits of glass!

welcome, Rich! :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Rich21

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
Lol...thanks for the replies and tips!

It has a square body approx. 9.5cm across and a round base of approx 13.5cm diameter.

Hopefully these pics are a little better!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cheers

Rich

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand