Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Fake carnival?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Glen:
LGW are certainly the only people I am aware of who used this technique. It would appear they used glass from various makers - I recently got a vase that I believe was a Cristal d'Arques one, that LGW then iridised.

The ground rim on your creamer underlines a likely European origin (rather than USA made Carnival) so I do think that this is the answer. I guess they had a batch in and didn't spot the chips. But certainly the fact that the chips are iridised over does indicate the vacuum iridising method (post original glass production).

On another, slightly deviant but sort-of connected, note. There are/were people in the USA who re-heated already made items and then iridised them. The technique took great skill and experience. Names to look out for are Crider and Hansen.

Glen

PS Nice pieces, by the way, that sugar and creamer. Very distinctive - very unusual.

Frank:
It cannot be that hard to add iridescence as Pirelli did it too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7416930851

Blanks were probably French

Glen:
Who said it was "hard" to iridise? The method and processes are well known.

What is tricky to do, is to iridise previously manufactured items using heat. That's what I was saying is......
--- Quote ---"the technique (that) took great skill and experience"
--- End quote ---

It did.

For example, Terry Crider used cold "blanks", re-heated the items to 1000 f, then iridised, and heated again in a glory hole. He told me that when he first began iridising blanks, everything took two applications and two separate firings. In fact some pieces took three applications and three firings. As Terry told me "there were a lot of breakages this way"!

That's what I was referring to in my posting above.

The LGW method was vacuum iridising. I am not aware of anyone else using the method - and the result is a very vibrant and easily recognised iridescence.

Glen

Tigerchips:
Thank's for all your help Glen, very much appreciated.

I'm glad you like them too. 8).

Oh, by the way, these are not the carnival items I saw the other day though they do look similar. I wonder if they're still on the stall as I could buy them as well.  :lol:

Little did I realise
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/

:lol:

Frank:
Unfortunately no details of PirellĂ­s equipment is known but as the bulk of their work was firing transfers, it is likely that they only had an annealling oven. I dont think they fore up that hot to fuse the transfer enamels. Not had any of the iridised glasses myself so I cannot test if it scratches off.

Is it possible to scratch of iridescence from any of the fake carnival? It could well be that there is a lower temperature option. (Speculating)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version