No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fake carnival?  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Fake carnival?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 07:46:19 AM »
Frank, I'm stepping right outside my comfort zone now.  :shock:  Thinking aloud...... cold lustering techniques can also be used. I think this can produce very light (I have heard people incorrectly describe it as "flashed") iridescence.

I haven't scratched any fake carnival (and perhaps a definition is needed for "fake" but this is perhaps not the place for it), but I would not think it is possible to scratch the iridescence off  - for example - the Far Eastern Good Luck, Peacocks etc. The iridescence on pretty much all Carnival (as far as I am aware) is, in old fashioned parlance, burnt on. Iridised when HOT (directly after moulding/shaping).

Cold iridising of a sort can be done by "water ambering" in certain natural springs. It has also been done as "one-offs" on some old EAPG pieces (mainly Heisey) through a post production "decorating" process that I believe was applied cold luster. The iridescence on them is pale and very watery - and of course, they are "rare" (in other words, only a handful of them were iridised).

It's a big topic. I've only scratched the surface  :roll:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Fake carnival?
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »
I am sure that Pirelli's would have been fired. There are of course many firms now providing coatings for glass and some of these are very hard to detect until they start to wear and loose the shine. Mostly based on plastics technology. I wonder if anyone has tried using such methods to create 'collectible' items.

Annealing ovens work in the range of 600-800 fahrenheit.

Do it yourself type  :D http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/furnace19.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand