No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Okay, what did I just buy?  (Read 3460 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Okay, what did I just buy?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »

Hi.

Thanks for the comments on the glass - it sounds like it might be a lead glass, but of relatively low lead content.

I have been looking at some of my 'oddities', and I have a paperweight with very similar cane structures (and some of the colours), which belongs to the unknown group of antique European paperweights that I refer to as 'starfish' paperweights.  I call them that because many have unusual canes with 5 short straight arms to them.  I am working on an article on these, but will try and post some images of the paperweight I have in mind and the relevant canes in the next day or so.

They are a diverse groups of designs - concentrics, colour grounds, harlequins, scrambles.  They probably date to the late 19th century, and may well be Belgian but not Val St Lambert.  More anon.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
Thanks, Alan, I appreciate it. I'll also keep researching and see if I can come up with anything.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 08:26:32 AM »

Hi RescoCCC.

Attached is an image of the paperweight I mentioned, plus a close-up of some canes.  Mine is 3 1/16 inch / 78 mm diameter; it has a white ground.

The first cane image shows the 'starfish' cane: it has a central circular tube, with 5 stubby arms. What makes it distinctive is that it appears to be formed not by moulding, but by adding blocks of white glass to the white tube - quite an unusual technique. The same technique is also used for some six armed canes, but the five armed version appears throughout the family of 'starfish' paperweights, often accompanied by a cane in pink/white/blue made of concentric square tubes.

The second cane image shows three different canes from this paperweight that share a similar design structure: circular tubes or canes grouped around a central core, then surrounded by clear glass, then with a layer of white glass, and finally an outer coloured shell. This is not unknown elsewhere, but is fairly uncommon.  What intrigues me is that the same design occurs in your paperweight, both in the blue canes in the outer ring and the pink inner ones - maybe the red too, but it is hard to see.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 01:03:07 PM »
Any chance of a side view Alan?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »

Hi.

Here is a profile view. I guess from the scratched top it is probably the original shape, but you can rarely be certain unless it still has blocking marks or collapsed bubbles on the surface.

Alan

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »

Hi.  Here is an image of another 'starfish cane' paperweight, this time a red ground, courtesy of Ian Cummings of weights-n-things.  The cane on the outside at 5 o'clock looks to be the same as the one at the centre of RescoCCC's paperweight, which I suspect therefore is another example from the starfish cane maker.

Alan

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
Thanks, Alan. Frankly I like the color theme in yours better. Some very real similarities in the canes, for sure. The dome profile also seems similar. Are the canes in yours thinly sliced? They are very thin in mine.

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
I've continued digging through Selman's auction archives, and just found a very interesting Clichy with canes very similar to two of the types in mine. The smooth sided blue ones with pink centers in the outer ring, and the inner ring ribbed pink ones with the center holes look nearly identical to the canes in the Clichy.

http://www.selman.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/003616.9.2655952883919036247

Lot #20.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »

Hi.  I agree the canes are similar...but why is that a Clichy? I think it is mis-attributed, and is one of the same group as yours.  Remember that Selman make errors from time to time...as we all do.

Alan

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
You mean Selman isn't infallible?  ;) I'm sure they attributed it as a Clichy because of the rose canes. Of course, a) Clichy wasn't the only one who used rose canes and b) I wish that image was larger so we could see the canes better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand