No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart or not ?  (Read 7494 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Monart or not ?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
I would have thought so ,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
Only if it's not true  ;)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
Presumably, naming someone publicly in this context could easily result in legal action.
Yes, we must always take great care in such matters.

And, in any case of alleged fraud / faking etc., even if somebody has apparent documentary proof of any allegation, it is best for the purposes of this Board that such details should not be posted. This is especially true for alleged actions that have not been proven one way or another by such as a court of law.
KevinH

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
best not , safest and easiest way I would say  8)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
hi,
Can I just ask the experts to educate me a bit more - regarding lot 262 - the vase, is it a "fake" or is it actually Vasart / Strathearn. I have one the same shape and size (white / orange / silver mica) - I thought it was  later Vasart or Strathearn but have never been entirely convinced.
Is the bowl okay or also wrong?

also, would anyone like to comment on this?
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/amersham-auction-rooms/catalogue-id-2908013/lot-23548950
looks wrong, but I have a piece I was convinced was Monart which has almost identical colouring
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=1011&pos=13
which I am now worried about!! (applied foot, surface colour, ground pontil scar)

Many thanks,
Roberta

Roberta

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
I just realised that the auction piece I linked to looks a similar shape to the Vasart beer glass (but larger)  - could it be Vasart? Have asked the auction house for a base image.

Roberta
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
not too sure on the small vase , colour looks suspect though shape is defo similar if not the same as vasart used, though the bowl looks spot on with the applied foot being surface decorated , so if I was to guess   as I am not an expert either  ::) id say bowls monart but  vase could be Vasart , as for the other piece it doesn't look right either for Monart or Vasart so id say its no to it being any kind of Ysart glass, the problem with some of the early fakes well the ones ive seen was that the shapes were good but colours not quite right ,

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
The auction one has a very thick outer casing and that is not typical of Ysart, but is of Strathearn where the casing was thickened to allow the seal to be used. But the second link is a tapered green vase? I have always felt that the copying of a makers works is a compliment. Most of those who learned the Ysart techniques and made glass in the style also added their own twists. Herbert Dreier certainly made some amazing pieces, Peter Holmes style being mostly in the Ysart techniques with his own decoration ideas, his tend to be quite heavy too. Chic Youngś are interesting as he learned from Paul rather than the others in the family. His palette is very different but is closer in quality to Monart. Most of the others rarely made glassware. Hand shaped glass will always carry the fingerprint of the individual who made it but to understand that you need to study the techniques to get a grip on recognising these.
Fakes are deliberately made to be sold as someones work and represent a fairly small group, Much being misrepresenting by sellers and this is where Ysart was well served by a single seller who saw the whole thing as a game. The misrepresentation and alteration of Strathearn pieces started at the same time that an collecting interest emerged at a time when the price premium was very small.
As to the makers, if  they came forwards it would not really hurt them and it would at least give a focus to collecting of their pieces. Most people who think they know have got it wrong.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »
Thanks, so we think the orange bowl in lot 262 is monart, the vase is suspect.

The orange vase (Amersham auctions) could possibly be Strathearn (or by someone else?), definitely not Monart / Vasart.

Not sure what went wrong with the link to my piece which I now suspect is not right as it has similarities to the above piece (shape WF) so will show it here:

Many thanks,
Roberta
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
is the foot surface or encased in clear

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia