No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart or not ?  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart or not ?
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
What do other members think of the auctioneer's description of some of the lots as Monart. IMHO lot 253, 257, 259, 260, 261 and 262 are fakes.
I have emailed the auction house voicing my concern on the authenticity of the aforementioned lots.
Gary
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/special-auction-services/catalogue-id-2913709?categoryid=203860&page=2

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Monart or not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »
lots of fakes stand out like a sare thumb, only a few correct pieces in the whole collection, probably someones collection who was unlucky enough and under educated at the time and was fooled in buying these as the real thing back in the eighties/nineties
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 12:26:54 AM »
Seconded, maybe 249 & 254 too.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
When you say 'fakes' do mean the designs were actually copied and sold to deceive like the weights

Chris

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:55:43 AM »
Both are those are too.

Miniatures with labels were made in London for a Perth dealer. These were very nicely made. Fake labels were also added to them. The same dealer then had a lot of Monart look-alikes made by a Scottish maker who knew they were being misrepresented, actually delivered to the shop himself.

http://ysartglass.com/Ysart/Fake%20Ysart%20Glassware.htm

Then there is simple mistaken identity
 http://ysartglass.com/Ysart/NotYsart.htm

Also glass by Chic Young (Sold in PP shop), Deacons, Holmes has been misrepresented as Monart.

Some Vasart and Strathearn has been ground and polished c1990 to pass off as Monart. Some glass made in the Ysart style, not so long ago, but with unusual embellishments was sold through a Scottish auction house as a fictitious Vasart Studio range.

Familiarity with the glass of the Ysart family is all that is needed to recognise the fakes and misrepresented glass.

On top of that over the years there have a lot of Monart 'moulds' circulating, several sets of 'Paul Ysart tools' and a fair bit of fake documents, colour book, notepads etc. All of this has been traced back to one dealer, along with the fake PY weights. Rumours of the maker that circulate are mostly unfounded, there were actually several.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
I quite agree with you Gary - I looked at these and thought rather a large proportion of them were not right!
Lot 249 looked a bit Perthshire paperweights to me though not sure - would be interesting to see a base shot of this.
I thought 254 looked ok - Frank (or anyone else)- please could you share your reasons why this looks wrong to you?

The ebay ones mention came from Taylors auctions and were not sold as Monart - I had a look at the photos of them  - they are just so wrong for Monart but did wonder if they were the ones made for the tourist trade by PP rather then "fakes" as such.

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
254 just looks not right to me.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
Ok, thanks for that Frank!

Roberta
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
none of theses were ever made by Perthshire paperweights and don't resemble any PP pieces/work that I have ever seen and ive seen and owned well over a hundred different PP vases/bowls and lamps , infact I would say that most of PP glass ware is as good and in a lot of cases better than some Ysart glass, defo better than a lot of Vasart and Strathearn ,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand