No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart or not ?  (Read 7535 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Monart or not ?
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2014, 08:26:16 PM »
For those who may not know (and assuming I have got it right), Paul Hollister (Jr.) is well known in paperweight circles for his 1969 book "The Encylcopedia of Glass Paperweights".

But more importantly, he was a leading light (at least, in the USA) in the field of studio glass, having written many articles from the 70s thru 90s. See: http://www.bgc.bard.edu/news/events/-91.html
Your assumption are right it is one and the same person, though I did misspell his name.
For those people who don't know who Betty Reid was. Betty worked all her working life at Moncrieff glassworks and single handed saved so much Monart archive materail from getting put in the skip when Monart finished production in 1961, which is now in Perth museum.

so nigel was correct then regarding concave pontils , also there are examples of monart with the four marked pontil, I have one somewhere and I know keith has some also , or is this a different thing their on about
I believe though not certain, that the four  marked pontil was used on the applied foot of Monart pieces.
My goodness, thanks very much for sharing those letters with us Gary  :) How very gratifying, my feelings have been chuffed  ;) :)

Cheers, Nigel
Glad to be of some assistance.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 12:46:57 AM »
The 4 mark was from the use of a gadget. More often found on Strathearn I doubt any of the Ysart's used it at Moncrieff. Hollister could well have had Strathearn pieces without knowing it, probably a list of his collection in Rakow or sale auction could potentially verify that.

See type 5 http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/IDguide1.htm
and http://www.ysartglass.com/Vascat/VasStrVS001.htm

On the letters, who was the person in reply 1 which is not shown on the pic?

For Betty Reid see http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20:betty-reid-dispatch-clerk-john-moncrieff-ltd&catid=15:scottish-glass-people&Itemid=16

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 02:11:50 AM »
im sure Keith will be able to put his hands on his monart with the four pronged pontil mark as his is mostly all on display and not packed away, I have seen a few pieces of monart with the four mark pontil over the years
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »
The 4 mark was from the use of a gadget. More often found on Strathearn I doubt any of the Ysart's used it at Moncrieff. Hollister could well have had Strathearn pieces without knowing it, probably a list of his collection in Rakow or sale auction could potentially verify that.

Page 20 and 21 of YSART GLASS book mentions the use of a 4 pronged punty iron (by Paul Ysart) on applied footed pieces and on bowls.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2014, 07:43:13 AM »
exactly Gary , theres been conversations years back regarding this and im sure your were involved aswell Frank

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
I have this 4 prong mark on an O shape size VII bowl with an applied foot.

Roberta
Roberta

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2014, 11:45:18 AM »
The two Gary's beat me to it, and in fact used the perfect example - always used on shape 'O' bowls  :)

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
Grey matter issue :D Sorry was thinking of the gadget which grips at the edges as opposed to a fixed prong punty iron.

Meanwhile my less controversial question not answered  "On the letters, who was the person in reply 1 which is not shown on the pic?"

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
The person in question is Frank Stewart, one of the jobs he did at Moncrieff's was the majority of the grinding on Monart pieces.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »
the four pronged pontil is not just on footed pieces I have seen it and owned a few pieces with the four pronged pontil, heres one of keiths examples

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand