No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richard Olma  (Read 6091 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Richard Olma
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:03:26 PM »
What can anyone tell me about Richard Olma.

I find pieces (almost all paperweights) dated from the 70's through the 90's, they are simply exquisite, the glass is exceptionally clear, the lampwork is as pristine as any Lotton piece.

I would imagine he retired or passed away before the web became what it is today, but I'm still very surprised to find NOTHING, other than pieces that have been sold, or are available.

I looked at every listing, (on Google and Bing), not a single one had any bio or history info. That in itself is unusual, generally at least one or two sellers will give some background.

I'm assuming from the designs, that he was American, or I should say produced his pieces in America.

While all the pieces I've found, sold or current for sale, have similar flower motifs, I see one outlier.There is a crystal clear, perfect glass piece, with nothing other than a piece of concrete captured, currently for sale on eBay. It's defined as a Richard Olma "freedom" series. Since it makes no sense to call it Freedom, or for such an accomplished lampwork artisan to have made this without a reason, I'm taking a leap of logic, and thinking the piece of concrete is from the Berlin Wall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RICHARD-OLMA-GLASS-PAPERWEIGHT-FREEDOM-SERIES-1996-SIGNED/201151526296?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23490%26meid%3D345537469b3e41229946782fca73622b%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10073%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301281620020&rt=nc

Here's the one I own.
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline janettekay

• Members
Re: Richard Olma
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:13:07 AM »
I swear I had something on him. ..just checked all my saved  PW websites (info and pw sellers)..  .nothing..sorry. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:40:45 AM »
Thanks for looking : )
Bob Kegeles

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
The latest signed weight I find in my copies of ebay auctions is from 1997 ... and in one auction in 2007 the seller states "Here is a lovely floral paperweight by the late Richard Olma from the Chicago area."
Not much (and I don't know, how reliable), but could be a starting point for further research.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
Richard passed away a couple of years ago. As I recall, he was from Wisconsin and made his floral weights for a long time. I have had several. I had some more info on him but can't seem to find it at the present moment.

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 03:32:04 PM »
Each drop of info is always helpful, Chicago area/Wisconsin are the same, (or close enough).

Passed away makes sense, since no output.

Floral weights for years also makes sense.

It's really funny how often I see multiple pieces from the same artist hit ebay at the same time, from different sellers. When I purchased this one, the next week, another seller had it's twin up. I almost bought te second one, it was at $72 (same as I paid for this one), it didn't get a bid, and is now $125, on a set price listing, (prob won't sell though), plus a pretty salmon version @ $150. Plus 5 others that have sold since May.

My two thoughts are, one, I'm just noticing an artist more, right after I buy something. Similar to right after you buy a new auto, in a pretty color, suddenly there are dozens around you. The other theory is, people see an item sell, and say to themselves, I have one of those, I never knew it was worth that much, think I'll list mine.

Thanks again all.

Bob

Bob Kegeles

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »
Passed away makes sense, since no output.
Also bacause of ::)
... and in one auction in 2007 the seller states "... the late Richard Olma ..."
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »
Good point, I just thought that meant he was late for dinner.
Bob Kegeles

Offline glass man

• Members
    • art glass
    • usa
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
Richard Olma is from Chicago area of Illinois    DECEASED
records show it was established in 1962

Olma Art Glass Studio
4053 N Ottawa Avenue
Norridge, IL 60706

This is all the info I have on file. I have at least one weight. Not seen vases etc.  search for olma christine art glass studio. I believe it is his wife working in stained glass.

Offline a_frenay

• Members
    • paperweights
    • Germany, with dutch nationality
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
I did some research too a couple of years ago. You're right with the stone from the Berlin Wall, he made (or wanted to make) 5000 paperweights with a stone short before he passed away.

That's all I know, unfortunately I can't remember were I did find this information, I'm absorbing lots of information about paperweights every single day.  I've got two paperweights of him myself, the glass is incredible clear.   To my opinion a Richard Olma paperweight is a great access to any collection! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand