No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tapio Wirkkala Bark type vase (signed) = Bagley  (Read 6297 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Tapio Wirkkala Bark type vase (signed) = Bagley
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
By jove you're right Anne!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 10:06:47 PM »
My goodness that man designed a LOT of glass!  :shock:  :x

I've had a look through Designlasin now and like Pat, I can't find it.  I think we have to assume he did not make this.  Plus the signature is nothing like the one shown in Smoke & Ice either.

It would be useful to know which company impresses the tudor style rose on its glass though.  I've seen at least a couple on drinking glasses (I think?) with the same mark recently.

Sorry Pip, but as you point out, it's still a nice looking piece of glass and at least you can use it!  :D  I remember someone on whitefriars.org saying that he had some cut flowers, about 200 Scandi vases and still nothing to put the flowers in.  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 08:37:04 AM »
:D:D:D

I have exactly the same vase, but with no writing on it's bottom.

The glass itself could not be Iittala, it is far too yellowy-green in colour.

The rim of mine is slightly different though - mine is flatter that yours, which seems to be curved.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »
Response from iittala :

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your message.

I showed the picture of the glass to our expert and she said that the vase is not made by iittala or by Tapio Wirkkala.

Ystävällisin terveisin/Best regards

info
Anu Iso-Kokkila
iittala oy ab
Pete

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 12:31:25 PM »
Cheers for sorting that out Pete - although it's no surprise - I realised quite early on it wasn't what it was purporting to be (thanks to Max's astute observations).  But I'm wondering now if this faked signature is a one-off or if there are more of these lurking somewhere?  It was bought from a boot sale in Dorking on Sunday and the seller didn't say anything about it and only asked a small sum so I don't think he's the culprit.  Very puzzling!

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 12:55:31 PM »
??? Very weird, Pip. Maybe someone ditching the evidence? Can't think of any other explanation.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 08:51:34 PM »
No probs Pip
I was curious myself to see what iittala are selling these days as well as finding the skinny on this piece. I just can't resist a good glass whodunnit - much better than a murder mystery anyday in my book.

I'm still mystified as to the story on your item though. It would seem that someone somewhere thought they would make a killing on passing these off as iittala, especially with the magic Wirrkala name attached.  

As Cathy seems to be suggesting maybe the seller to you, bought it on Ebay and then realised it wasn't kosher. I don't suppose we will ever know unless a large number of them start appearing on Ebay from particular sellers....even then questions would remain.

I was v pleased and impressed at how quickly & decisively iittala responded.
Pete

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 10:38:05 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
No probs Pip
I was curious myself to see what iittala are selling these days as well as finding the skinny on this piece. I just can't resist a good glass whodunnit - much better than a murder mystery anyday in my book.

I'm still mystified as to the story on your item though. It would seem that someone somewhere thought they would make a killing on passing these off as iittala, especially with the magic Wirrkala name attached.

Well I might pop along there next week and see if he's got more of the same - see if he's drip feeding them, but it still wouldn't make sense to ask just a few quid for it if it was part of a bigger scam.  Maybe it was just some saddo who saw a Wirkkala vase on FlogIt or Cash in the Attic or something equally lame and thought 'that looks like that vase I've got' and got the etching fluid out and had a go.  Like you said, we'll probably never know  :?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 01:54:26 PM »
I wrote to Tudor Crystal, asking if they might know who made this vase.  Shot in the dark, I only thought perhaps they might know as it's a symbol they use.

They don't know either though, but said if we find out, let them know...wish I could find out who makes this stuff.  I'm surprised no-one knows more.   :?
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand