No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed - yes, I really think so! - Vasline bowl  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Pressed - yes, I really think so! - Vasline bowl
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »
This bowl is very similar to others in my Victorian vaseline collection, but it is pressed glass, obviously copying the hand blown Victorian style.  Anyone know when and where it might have been made?
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2141
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2140
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2139

I'd also be interested in anyone making 'frames', or whatever you call them, for this style of dish to sit in.  It is always a surprise to me that so many of the dishes which were clearly made to sit in a 'frame' have survived, but have lost their holder!   :shock:  I would have expected it to be the other way around, and for there to be a glut of handles around, for which the bowls which would have sat in them have been broken!   :?
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:35:25 AM »
It surprises me that you say it's pressed. Has it got seams? I would have expected it to be mould blown. Dave buys dishes he doesn't want to get stands :? for his bowls

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 11:49:18 AM »
Yes, you're right of course Christine!    :oops:  :roll:  No seams!  It probably is mould blown.  

Dave buys dishes he doesn't want to get stands for his bowls

But does he ever see stands without bowls?   :?  Where do they all go?  Thrown away?  :shock:
Leni

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »
Pickle castor frames show up regularly on a couple of my eBay searches, so I imagine sweetmeats, bonbons etc. would also.

Most of these frames were quadruple silver plated and would lose the plating after a few years years of polishing. Rather than putting a beautiful glass into a now blackened metal holder, I'd bet they kept the glass and tossed out the frames.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:24:10 AM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
It surprises me that you say it's pressed. Has it got seams? I would have expected it to be mould blown

Have just had another look at this bowl, and - surprise! - it does in fact have seams!  Three, very cleverly concealed  :shock:

I was thinking about the way it would be made and realised that with the 'frill' round the middle, it couldn't be mould-blown unless the frill - or the top section - was added after!   :roll: So I looked more closely and found the seams  :D

So, let's try this again  :wink:  :  Does anyone have any idea when and where it might have been made?
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:43:21 AM »
Could still be mould blown. Blowing moulds sometimes have seams - I have seamed hyacinth vases - so you can get the glass out. In either case, I think the frill was probably applied seperately, unless you can find a seam in it. We need a glass expert, I'm probably talking a load of *@^$! :oops:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 12:01:20 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
I think the frill was probably applied seperately, unless you can find a seam in it.

Went back and searched again and yes, the frill has seams in it too! :D
We need a glass expert, I'm probably talking a load of *@^$! :oops:

No way!  You're talking a lot of sense, and making me think and re-examine - and therefore learn!   :shock:  Thank you!   :D
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 12:18:23 PM »
Could be American. Where's Dave when we need him? Will look in his book later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand