No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart engraved individual water jug - Rd 764703/4  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Stuart engraved individual water jug - Rd 764703/4
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
A sweet little thing and fully marked. 3.75 in tall. I think it's for water for your whisky rather than a creamer. Rd No 764704 registered on 1 June 1931. The question is what was registered?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Stuart engraved individual water jug
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
I doubt the cutting, more likely the shape IMHO Christine  :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
Reminds me of this one which is a little plumper and unmarked. I have also seen another like mine but with a small lid that sat inside on the 'collar'.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »
Nigel's comments are probably true  -  so many times when I check these BT design items at Kew, it is almost always the shape that is the subject of the Registration.              In the attached pic showing specific wording for a Stuart design (by coincidence), you can see how the final sentence - which is standard on virtually all Registrations - indicates that the 'novelty is in the shape etc.'.
I can include this one when next I visit the Archives if it's of interest.

John's 'small jug' is a Stuart piece that I've also had in the past  -  long since given away I'm sure, and I forget the size now  -   mine did have a small inset lid, as shown in the attached pic. and it had the Woodchester cut design.        I forget now whether is was marked with an Rd. No. or not :-[
The shape of these small Stuart jugs is distinctive.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 06:58:37 AM »
Yes please Paul

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
o.k. will do.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
Thanks Paul, the size of my jug is 4" so just a tad taller than Christines. Come to think of it the one I saw with a lid had a cut pattern too, don't think I will recall any more detail about that pattern though... I blame a misspent youth and for that matter, middle age. :-X

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:14:23 PM »
I'm not absolutely sure about the lid.

I keep seeing lids exactly like this, shoved onto jugs and sugars and jam things that seem to have openings approximately the correct size often the colour of the glass does not even match.

There are a lot of "marriages of convenience" cooked up in the back rooms of charity shops.

Or maybe there are a lot of Stuart jugs around, missing their lids, because they have been put on other things?

When stuff comes into a charity shop, sets of things are broken up between different bags or boxes, the folk sorting things out often don't have all the right bits, all together, in the first place.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
folk have probably forgotten this one too, but just so that I can clear up the outstanding Reg. Design Look-Ups, hope this is of interest, and apologies Christine it's a couple of years late. :-*

Stuart Registered two related designs on this date - Christine's is the second of the two - No. 764704 which is the taller and more slender design, and John's similar but more squat piece in the same vein is Reg. 764703...............   as we suggested, it is the shape only that was being Registered.            No idea why the prototypes were given what appears to be a coat of emulsion on their upper half?

Just as a suggestion, the Mods. might care to revise the subject heading to include both Nos., which might help folk in the future when looking for these particular designs.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:01:59 PM »
Thanks Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum