No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano  (Read 1023 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Murano
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:27:24 PM »
Here are two pieces, an owl and a vintage auto.

The owl has a Murano label, and a solid white ground, with a millefiori perimeter.

The vintage auto is unlabeled, and has a floating frit "ground".

1) Are they both Murano? I've seen these types of w8s labeled as Murano on a variety of trustworthy websites, including Alan Thornton's. However no details.

2) Was there only one factory making this style or w8? or were they offered by several?

3) I'm thinking of them as a cousin to sulfide w8s, I'm assuming the image is painted, not lampwork.

I'd love to know.

I know we're not supposed to ask about two items on one thread, but this seems to be the best way to "compare and contrast".

Thanks for any help,

Bob
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Murano
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »
Hi Bob

The Owl is in my opinion Murano and probably a heat resistant transfer print which were mainly used in the pottery industry. Murano made MANY designs using this technique including classical motifs and hot air balloons. Whitefriars also experimented with this technique and a search on GMB will find many strings referring to these transfer weights. I am not aware that these weights have been isolated to a pacticular Murano factory.

The Vintage car is an American weight - the clue is the "M" at the bottom of the design and these were made by Tom Mosser - roughly between the mid 1970's and 1990's. Again there is a lengthy string discussing how Mosser made these designs...

see http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,20105.0.html

Hope this helps

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Re: Murano
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »
It helps a great deal Derek, thank you .
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand