No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart or Czech??  (Read 1005 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Monart or Czech??
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
 ::)
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »
Definitely Monart, though I have not seen that particular colourway ie just green and blue.

Below is an image(not Ysart glass) of the type of colourway that Gary possibly means.
seen the same colour on ysart glass under non ysart glass, maybe just the lack of the red in it but dunno still not 100%  :P
Gary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
May I suggest that the green in the bowl that Gary illustrates has white/opaque quality that is different from the greens of Monart ?? Certainly that is something that I have always associated with these 'Czech' pieces with this colour way.

Nigel

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
yup Gary that was what I was meaning lol, as I said base looks great on the vase and colourway just look weird minus the red that monart usually has with this colourway unless I cant see it on her bucket vase
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
Probably not adding anything as I know so little about Ysart/Monart but I just wanted to say I can see exactly what Nigel means.
To my eye, as well as the colour looking quite opaque as Nigel mentions, the way the  colour is laid on in the Non-Ysart bowl Gary showed appears to be completely different to the effect of the colours in Orange's vase. The bowl looks to have specific blobs of colour that are not cloudy, fluffy or smudgy round the edges.  To me it's as if  the colour in the vase has been laid on using powders but the colour in the bowl has been laid on by picking up little hard pieces of glass.
That fluffy cloudy effect is similar to what I see in my French 20's glass, never in  little blobs :)
m

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »
Definitely no pinky/ red in it as there is in the vase pictured next to it - I think there is a colour description of the green/blue/ gold aventurine on Ysartglass but no picture.
The way the colour is laid on is exactly like my other Monarts but the colours seem to be stronger or more dense if that makes sense! When under lighting it is still quite intense  - not quite as translucent as a some of my others  look when lit, but it definitely does not have the  white / opaqueness that Nigel described seen on the Czech pieces - I understand what you mean there Nigel!

Thank you all for your input,
Roberta

P.S. I have uploaded my pictures now if anyone would like a look - hope this link works!
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=15361
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand