No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Libochovice (pre 1958) gravy boat and stand.  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Libochovice (pre 1958) gravy boat and stand.
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »
Not very exciting I appreciate, but possibly of interest to collectors of Czechoslvakian pressed glass.

Small gravy boat and stand from the Sklo Union CD catalogue for Libochovice  -  pattern Nos. 3048 and 3049 - showing on page 6.
There is a bowl on Pamela's pressglas-pavillon which appears to be the only piece there with this pattern.

Rather small compared to more modern gravy boats  -  at Christmas it would run out of gravy long before reaching you at the end of the table. ;)   

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Libochovice (pre 1958) gravy boat and stand.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »
it has been suggested to me that, in view of the small capacity of something like 85 ml., then this was probably intended as a sauce boat, rather than for gravy.
I think I got the idea of the word gravy from Marcus' catalogue index where I'm sure I saw the word gravy.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
Snap!! I have a biscuit barrel in this pattern..... :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
very nice Angela  -  think I'd prefer the biscuit barrel to the sauce boat.        My opinion on this pattern is that it does make me think of late art deco, and would look even better as a cut design as opposed to being pressed  -  it catches the light well.

Just looked at the catalogue again, and there is an entire page of separate pieces/shapes  -  so we've some way to go before we have then all - something like 12 or 13 items in total. ;D

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
this pattern reminds me of the Sputnik era late 1950's I seem to recall my aunt having a fruit set in this pattern....this stamp reminds me of the pattern....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_1#mediaviewer/File:Marka_Sputnik-1.jpg

The biscuit barrel is kind of rocket shaped with its three flared legs a nice heavy piece of glass used to hide sweets in from my grand daughter I like it very much  ;D

Offline chrissyd

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • nz
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »
Interesting, I picked up one of these a few years ago in an op shop and didn't know where it was from. :)
I am finding this Glass Message Board very helpful.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
hi chrissyd  -  to be honest, many of us, like you, would be clueless as to the origins of much of what we find, if we didn't own a small library of books, CDs etc.

It seems necessary to spend time and money acquiring these references sources, but once you have them then positive id's come much easier, although even then not guaranteed - and if these items are acquired over a period of several years then not so painful in laying out a lot of shekels in one go.

glad we've helped with this one.             I don't know if the CD for the Sklo Union Database is still available  -  it was accompanied by the book originally. :) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand