No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For show, Colin Terris Ltd. Edn. weight  (Read 3188 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: For show, Colin Terris Ltd. Edn. weight
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 11:16:51 PM »
Nice weight, Sue. Even I have one of those, and it was not made by Paul Ysart!

Alan mentioned other colours including red, but the info on Scotlands Glass for Caithness weights shows only the Blue, Peach and Damson versions. Blue was 1980, Peach 1981 and Damson 1982. All were separate editions of 750, with the Catalogue stating the first two were "fully subscribed" and Damson closed at 228 (but maybe Scotlands Glass info of 268 was correct).

If those were the only versions, then perhaps the Damson version did not sell as well as the others and that was the reason for closing before they were half through the edition? Strange, though, because most (of the not too many) folk I have talked to about this design say they prefer the Damson version!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 02:50:03 AM »
SG is probably typo.

Site will be being upgraded next month and then updates can be restarted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
I'll try to respond in "reverse order" ....

SG is probably typo.
I agree - must be a typo - and has been corrected.

Alan mentioned other colours including red, but the info on Scotlands Glass for Caithness weights shows only the Blue, Peach and Damson versions. Blue was 1980, Peach 1981 and Damson 1982.
The red version - just named "Floral Fountain" - was the first one to be issued in 1979 - and is "displayed" on Scotland's Glass.

If those were the only versions, then perhaps the Damson version did not sell as well as the others and that was the reason for closing before they were half through the edition? Strange, though, because most (of the not too many) folk I have talked to about this design say they prefer the Damson version!
Damson is certainly a very attractive colour - but it was the last to be issued. Possibly the "market" of collectors liking the design was already "saturated" with the other colours ???. Because, definitively, if the weight would have sold better it would not have been stopped.

It there a catalogue of Selkirk weights anywhere ...?
By the way, Wuff was working on getting pictures of all LE Selkirk weights on Scotlandsglass. He had already digitised the pictures of the catalogues he owns. However, I am not sure how far he got with this.
There used to be a few selected catalogues online - complete pages and not easy to navigate - but at least the URL I had noted is no longer valid.

Correct - I have digitized all Selkirk catalogues (the ones I don't own myself I got on loan for scanning from the Yelverton Paperweight Centre): not just the limited editions, but all their weights. Quite a few of the limited editions do not show up in the catalogues, however ... but with the help of collectors like SophieB (thank you!) I could close many gaps.

As Frank implied above, however, not much has been uploaded to Scotland's Glass recently, but I am looking forward to getting it going again. In the meantime I had posted images of several Selkirk weights on this board - whenever a specific design was discussed.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
In the meantime I had posted images of several Selkirk weights on this board - whenever a specific design was discussed.
Images of the Selkirk weight mentioned in this thread can be found here.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »
Hi all,

Wuff - Don't mention it, I am happy to help. Also, I have acquired a few more Selkirks since last year, do you want pictures of these too?

Sue - No, Hubby does not believe in parallel worlds... And he says that he is no longer taken in by 'What! this old thing' exclamation as the collection (like my wardrobe apparently) keeps growing visibly  ;D. Never mind, I am sure I will think of something else...

SophieB

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »
I know nothing about paperweights, but that sure is a pretty one, Sue. 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:11 AM »
[Mod: As annotated in the initial post, general discussion of Selkirk weights has been split out, from this point, into a new thread.]
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand