No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: signed carafe  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Nelliel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Muranoglass
    • Germany
signed carafe
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »
Hello

maybe someone can help me with this nice piece, i found it in a charity shop here in germany

thanx a lot

Nell

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: signed carafe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
Hi Nell,

Welcome to the Glass Message Board.

Afraid I can't tell you what the numbered codes refer to on the base. However, your stoppered bottle was produced at Mdina Glass and is from a range called 'Crystal Blue Stripe'.

Hope this helps.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:53:30 PM »
It looks like quite a modern piece from the numbers on the base,  so Mdina Glass might help you if you email them with a picture of your glass and the base... they are still producing.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Nelliel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Muranoglass
    • Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:39:23 AM »
Hello

thanks a lot i thought it was Mdina but because its mostly signed with Mdina and this looks so different i was not sure.

regards

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
 :)
Crystal blue stripe is a Michael Harris design and has been used at Mdina since he was there, although the shapes of the things made has changed, as has the overall appearance.
Initially they were not using crystal, but could only get hold of fairly poor quality clear glass - and the quality varied considerably.

I finally got around to wondering last night if the difference in the shade of yellow that became produced was down to the chemical differences between the poorer quality ordinary glass and the later crystal that was used.
With the poor quality glass resulting in a much deeper colour than the almost creamy white that might result from the silver interacting with crystal?

This piece is a much later one, probably fairly recent, with these marks on the base (I really don't think they signify much) and a very white yellow. The shape is also a fairly recent one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:09:19 AM »
Not entirely sure what the numbers all mean, perhaps shape number/ pattern number?

I know that the 'OE' relates to a particular glass blower as do other coupled letters, but to who they refer to is unknown to me im afraid, newer pieces tend to have this trait. They nearly all had coupled letters for each individual blower when i visited in August.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand