No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina bottle show and tell  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: Mdina bottle show and tell
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:16:45 PM »

I would agree, it would have had to be towards the end of Mr. Harris' time at Mdina - in order for his skills to have developed and improved enough to produce this beauty.

Somewhere there is an old photo of Vicente Boffo in the chair making what looks like an attenuated bottle.................

found it dated November 1970

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 02:26:43 PM »
Not "seaweed" though. :)
There really isn't much of it around, although I have seen bits that are not nearly as well executed as Michael Harris could make them, so I don't believe he was the only one who tried it out.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
Thank you Sue  :-*
Definitely was high up on my (Mdina glass) wish list, ever since I saw yours and John's here on the board.
And it looks good with my other Mdina cylinder vases (I have 3 of the tall Rosenthal pattern ones in the meantime ::) )

BTW -- when were these amethyst seaweed pieces made?

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
I suspect they are early. Harris period and perhaps for a small period of time afterwards, I'm not really sure.
The bits of seaweed I've seen that are slightly "ropey" (not so well executed - remembering random is not easy to get looking good unless the maker does have innate artistic talent) are all with clear glass, I haven't ever seen a "not-wonderful" amethyst one.
I have no artistic talent, I can't get random squiggly bits I make (with anything), looking good, ever.
I can't even draw a smiley face that looks anything other than downright sinister. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
Thank you!
Yes I totally agree -- the strapping on all the amethyst "seaweed" pieces is fabulous. And the contrast of the colors works so nicely...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand