No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ANY IDEAS ON THIS WEIGHT  (Read 1552 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
ANY IDEAS ON THIS WEIGHT
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »
bought this a couple of weeks ago thought it a bit unusual having a square base . think it may have some age to it. can't find anything similar any help would be greatfull
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: ANY IDEAS ON THIS WEIGHT
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »

Hi,

you can find a "square bottom" paperweight here:   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seguso-Murano-Faceted-Square-Base-Paperweight-Millefiori-/261579355318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce75834b6

That one is attributed to Seguso/Murano by the seller probably with a reason, maybe your's
is from the same source- although the canes and colours don't really suggest this
and remind of cruder "Old English" a little bit- unusual shape though-
Is the clear glass dome made of lead crystal? Then maybe OE- if not, eventually
Murano (plain polished bottom) or-  simplyfied- Chinese imitation (frosted bottom),
hope this helps,
Kind regards E.
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:31:53 PM »
hi thanks for looking and the info. but can't find anything else. do not know what his info is based on i do think his looks more like murano
with the more defined cog shaped canes. not sure mine looks a bit rougher it has a smooth base
stew

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
a few of the canes remind me of some perthshire or strathern canes but i know very little. there is that many out there i think it might be then think its not that. could it be bohemian (pass) but i will still look
photo of the base ans a side view

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »
Definitely Murano.

I have a similar, although with a standard dome, concentric millefiori example (which I think was possibly mentioned in an older thread) and there is a match to two canes in the outer row of the OPs weight. That row contains what looks like the same cane throughout but actually has two canes, one with a "bullseye" central element and one with a "daisy" (or "cog") central part.

My weight:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11180
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11179

I do not have any idea which Murano maker it was, but date wise, I put it at mid-20th century.
KevinH

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
thanks kevin for looking and the info.
Murano it is another one to put in the memory box

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »

Hi.  One approach to 'general' ID questions is to think about what is the frequency with which particular types of paperweights occur in the world, and in the country in which the item was found - and consider the most common sources first.  I do not know the precise answer, but my guess is that commonest are Chinese, then Murano.

In the UK, somewhat less common than those two, but still numerous, are the Scottish paperweights (Caithness, Strathearn, Vasart, Perthshire, Deacons, Selkirk, Manson), pieces brought back from holiday such as Mdina/Mtarfa, and then the products of many smaller studios and makers (Langham, IoW, Liskeard, John Ditchfield, Okra, Island Studios, Avondale, Kerry, Adrian Sankey, Dartington etc). Less common still are Paul Ysart, Whitefriars, Old English, European antiques or American pieces.

What are always a challenge are the 'bubbles and swirls' type from small glass blowers who make just the odd paperweight, with either no signature or a vague scribble.

This is not the result of a detailed study, I hasten to add: more my experience of charity shops, car boot sales, and mixed lots at auction.  Major auctions (and to some extent eBay) do not really give a representative cross-section, as some initial triage takes place before items are considered for sale.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
thanks alan
i did think of murano but could not see the wood for the trees. thanks again for everyone's input

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand