No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: underplate with mystery mark.  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: underplate with mystery mark.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »
It was a bit of lateral thinking that brought the result, Paul. :) 

The butter dish is in the Useful (as opposed to Ornamental) designs classification. I had a read of the Nat.Arch. helpfile to see what it says about them...
Registers and representations under the 1843 Act 1843-1884
...  record series BT 45 and BT 46.
These are the designs submitted to the Patents, Designs and Trade Marks Office under the terms of the Non-ornamental ('Useful') Designs Act 1843. Representations by classification ‘useful’, design range 1-6740.
The registers are divided into three parts: a register of the items by design number, an index to proprietors’ names in BT 46/5-7 and an alphabetical index to subjects in BT 46/9.

01/09/1843 30/06/1884  1-6740 Non-Ornamental (Useful) Designs
Representations: BT 45/1-30
Registers: BT 46/1-4
Index to Proprietors' Names: BT 46/5-7 (7 (8

01/09/1843 12/04/1883- Alphabetic Index to Subjects
BT 46/9 (8

Diamond marks were used on all material classes, i.e.
I   Metal
II   Wood
III   Glass
IV   Ceramic
V   Wallpaper
VI  Carpets
VII-XIII   Textiles of various kinds, including dress and furnishing fabrics
But that doesn't help explain why yours is an oval one!

Neil: If you go to the Nat. Arch. website and into the Discovery catalogue search box put:

"Useful Registered Design Number" glass

and select 1800-1899 as the date range, it brings up 74 registrations, which include two for Manchester Glass - 4631 (as above) and 4632 (another butter dish.) Hope this helps. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
thanks for your poking around Anne  -  perhaps mine was the prototype, and didn't get as far as a lozenge. ;)

So would appear nothing to do with MW then Neil, and in view of other designs for similar objects, it probably did have a cover/lid, although I don't think I missed seeing it when I bought the base, but will go back just in case.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:03:19 PM »
Am I missing something? Thomas George Webb was running Molineaux and Webb in 1864, aka The Manchester (Flint) Glass Works.

It looks to me like the two numbers 4631 and 4632 correspond to butter dishes 74 and 73 in the Molineaux Webb pressed glass catalogue.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
nope - obviously my misunderstanding re the names :)

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
I have had one of these for a number of years (just the base), wondered about the shape and couldn't find the manufacturer.
Thanks for clearing that up.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »
pity we don't each have the opposite corresponding half - at least we could make up one whole butter dish :)

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »
We were mentioning butters number 73 and 74 from the Molineaux Webb catalogue earlier in the thread - today I've turned up an example of pattern 72, which is a three piece butter dish. Not photographed it yet, but here's the image from the catalogue. So it looks like 72 went unregistered, and I presume 73 and 74 were registrations 4631 and 4632

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
Here you go... pattern number 72 dating to 1864

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 10:06:34 AM »
And here's my 73 with the same style of unusual registration mark as the piece in the original post:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23648.msg132069.html#msg132069

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Continuing in the vein of M.W. butter containers, here are some National Archive pix of dishes/parts of dishes, that at first I thought I'd be able to link to the factory patterns which have appeared earlier in this thread, but I have failed ...............  probably because they're later than those discussed here, or I'm up against non-Registered items.          Having gone to the trouble of watermarking, I hope they are of some interest  -  slightly confusing as two separate Nos. appear to show identical design/decoration ???

Whatever, perhaps if Neil has the time he might cast an eye over these images and let us know if they are related or not.    thanks.
I think there's five, so one will flip over to the next post.                  Of course, these images may already be on the Board's archive - if so apologies for doubling up.

tomorrow I will post a couple of M.W. 'marmalade dishes, from 1866, that at a quick glance might have been thought to be for butter, but the factory caption says marmalade.           

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand