No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Delicate Cut Glasses - Possibly Swedish, c.1920s.  (Read 579 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Delicate Cut Glasses - Possibly Swedish, c.1920s.
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:38:37 PM »
Recently acquired a few sets of these dessert wines and liqueur saucers from Copenhagen, but have more or less ruled out older Danish glass - although Holmegaard had a few similar, but not identical, shapes through the 1920s-40s.

They're very thin-walled and light-weight, with flared bowls that are decorated with alternating trios of vertical slices and cut stars. The design reminds me a little of a Johansfors pattern I've had in the past, but, again, I can't find anything identical.

Tallest glass is 115mm.

Thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Delicate Cut Glasses - Possibly Swedish, c.1920s.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »
I *think* I've found them.

VLG did a series of cut glassware called 'Constanze', c.1934, with what looks to be the same blanks as the glasses I have (I've found them on a couple of sites, and they're pretty much the same size).

http://cdn02.trixum.de/upload2/200/148/5/5661cc85c33d634097e6adc5f4d16868b.jpg

I've not been able to find the cut pattern in VLG's repertoire from around this period, at least from the sources I can find - might it ring any bells with members better acquainted with German glass?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Delicate Cut Glasses - Possibly Swedish, c.1920s.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:42:49 AM »
The Scandinavian link existed, after a fashion.

The glasses were cut to a design called 'Nordlys' for Denmark-based glass importer, Lyngby Glas, from around 1950.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand