No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peter Reynolds vase  (Read 10265 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Peter Reynolds vase
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
For show, my vase bought today at a local carboot sale :o.  What a find!  ;D
Hand made by contemporary Australian glass blower Peter Reynolds.  Signed on the base and dated 07.  There is also an impressed mark which I will take a picture of tomorrow, time permitting.

The colours and pattern are stunning.
Anne E.B

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Peter Reynolds vase
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »
Agreed, stunning! Here are a couple of items also by Peter Reynolds in 2007, in the form of flat open vases or 'seashells'. The pink one is 8cm high x 18cm x 16cm and the orange one is 7cm high x 21cm x 19cm. They are treated to be matte (sandblasted?).

There is a another vase that's been on on ebay.au for quite a while. It is too expensive for me (and presumably for others - that's why its been there so long). Yours is much nicer.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371082724433

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »
Fabulous pieces and pictures Trevor!  They both look so tactile, rather like some exotic sea anemone which would quiver if you touched them.  I just love the orange one, it looks like some living organism.

Here is the impressed mark on the base. I'm not sure I've shown it the right way up, but it appears directly under his signature.  I've seen one or two pieces of his work where the impressed mark shows his initials, but I can't make out any initials with this mark and there appears to be an exclamation mark on the right.  I might just not be looking at it correctly though, unless his mark has changed at some stage or other?

Its my first piece of Antipodean art glass, and hopefully not the last :)
Anne E.B

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:01:34 PM »
Hi Anne. I don't recognise the pontil stamp, either. You say you've seen examples with his initials in a stamp. If they are online, can you post the links, please? (I have a friend who 'collects' pontil stamps.)

What are the dimensions of your vase? I note that PR tends to use only initials on smaller items such as the one on ebay I linked to (although perhaps also WA or WAust). Yours must be larger to have both a signature and a pontil stamp.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
Apologies Trevor, I got it badly wrong with the "impressed initials".  This is what I found here during a search for P. Reynolds http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=553&pos=30&PHPSESSID=d02192c4c845c6a5d3bb2fc421c00cd3 and incorrectly assumed it was the same glassblower ::)  :-[ 

My vase measures 5" high and 3˝" diameter and is marked P. Reynolds W.Aust. 07, along with the impressed mark.  I will take a couple more snaps of the impressed mark later, hopefully they will be clearer.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
This is the clearest one.  What I thought was an exclamation mark, is in fact attached at the top to the rest of the mark.
Please feel free to use this image :)
Anne E.B

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:32:23 AM »
I think you are not wrong. Look at link below, where the same photo of the impressed initials is shown along with what I assume is the vase that bears that impression. That vase is clearly by the same maker as your Peter Reynolds vase.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=857&page=4

The impressed initials are decidedly odd, with the J backwards and the R jammed up against the edge of the impression. I've not seen that mark anywhere else, either.

Thanks for the better photo of the mark on your vase, but I still don't recognise it. Perhaps it is a character from an Asian language?

Trevor

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
I'm very green, Anne. It is beautiful. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
Thank you Sue ;).  I must admit when I first homed in on it from a distance (covered very quickly ;D) I thought it was possibly a Norman Stuart Clarke piece, as I have a small collection.  It was the swirls that caught my eye, but discovered I was wrong - happily.  It now sits with my N.S.C. pieces where it has pride of place ;)

I've tried rotating the impressed mark round to see if the motif resembles anything familiar, but I'm stumped.  If I find out, I'll get back.
--------------------
p.s. Love your Blog Trevor!
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
I think it looks like a cross between a good bit of Monart and Jonathan Harris' "Horizon" studio design - with a bit of its own unique character on top. Hadn't considered NS-C, but I can see that now.

Not trying to diminish Antipodean art at all - I just don't know enough about it to use more eloquent comparisons. I just have to make do with the best artists I know of on my/our end of the planet.  ;D

;) I know *that* distance that gets covered very quickly. It seems to last forever though, as my fear that somebody else will get there first is over-riding all other perceptions. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand