No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Id help Please  (Read 1762 times)

Offline dreama

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • united states
Id help Please
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the PW, how old? where it may have came from , who made it? 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Id help Please
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »
Please show a photo looking straight down on the top - preferably without light reflections. Or tell us what the wording says.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »

Hi.  I suspect it is American mid-West, probably Degenhart. As for date, probably around 1896  :) .

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline dreama

• Members
    • paperweights
    • united states
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
I also thought degenhart, but was not sure of the age?  which degenhart would it have been in 1896?  and made at Cambridge glass?  I dont think degenhart was in business then was it ?  here a closer pic

Offline dreama

• Members
    • paperweights
    • united states
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
It says John Toth to Jamie Saxon 1896

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
It could be an early Degenhart, but not quite that old.  The date is probably a commemorative date rather than the date it was made.  The earliest Degenhart weights date from the 1920s, although there is little documentation of the early work done at Cambridge Glass.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline dreama

• Members
    • paperweights
    • united states
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:24:53 PM »
I understand, most of the time the date is not when they are made, but from a birth death etc.  But this one puzzled me because it says "to", almost like it was meant to be presented to someone for something, the bottom is very rough, not finished at all.  i got it from someone in Kansas, I have tried to google the names and they are some in ohio, pa, ga, and kansas.   But i do not think this was made in kansas, it does look like a degenhart, but if the date is right, i could not be because the brothers would have been about 13 years old, if i counted right.  if the date is wrong, then  it could be, but why does it say "to", then nothing else.  I will attach a pic of the bottom

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54:41 AM »
I guess it was simply a gift "from John to Jamie", at a significant date.
KevinH

Offline dreama

• Members
    • paperweights
    • united states
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:58:59 AM »
That was my first thought, and if so then who would have made it, it would be to early for degenhart, yet it looks a  lot like one they made

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
I suspect it was made at one of the factories operating in Indiana or Ohio at the turn of the century. They made lots of these type of weights as gift for special occasions. Usually done on a lunch hour or after hours. Gas City had a plant that made some of these and at that time there were literally dozens of factories in Eastern Indiana. Many of them were making jars and bottles in huge quantities and this sort of item would have been made by one of the workers "off the clock". Western Ohio also had quite a few factories at this time as gas was running out and many were relocating to Indianan where gas was newly discovered. Many of the factories only existed for a few years and then were out of business or consolidated. Museum of American Glass has a reprint of a lengthy treatise of the factories of Indiana that is available as a reprint on ebay and a very interesting read if you're into history.
BTW: I've had quite a few of these over the years. Some were also attributed to some factories in Western Pennsylvania. The 1896 could well be close to the date it was produced.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand