No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A rare Greener & Co. basket RD 121985, 1889, in an unusual marbled colour.  (Read 2036 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A rare Greener & Co. loop-handled basket RD 121985 of 23 March 1889. The RD number is embossed inside the basket base or ‘bowl’.  Measures approximately 18cms high x 14cms wide bowl with a 8cms diameter foot; weight 508 grams.

The basket base is decorated externally with a pattern of flowers and leaves against a stippled background, is topped with a reeded or gadrooned rim, and stands on a circular gadrooned foot. The loop handle is of rustic form.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

I can’t recall ever seeing another example of this Greener & Co. design, and this particular item has the added distinction of being in a coloured glass the like of which I have never seen used for a Greener & Co. piece before. The overall impression is of an opaque glass of an orange-brown terracotta shade, but closer examination shows it actually to be a marbled glass with definite streaks ranging from almost sepia through reds and deep orange through to ochres.

Jenny Thompson does not give a description of the design, so I currently have no idea what the unique design feature of this registration was  – shape, decoration, or whatever?

Henry Greener produced many pieces in marbled glass thoughout the late 1870s and into the mid 1880s – various greens, blues, and purples, and brown. Once the firm became Greener & Co., however, comparatively few pieces seem to have been produced in (mostly purple) marbled glass, the majority of coloured pieces being in transparent glass (either uniform plain colours or opalescent colours).

Does anyone have other examples of Greener & Co.’s RD 121985 to show in other colours, please?

Does anyone have any other Greener & Co. or Henry Greener pieces to show in this orange-brown marbled glass, please?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: A rare Greener & Co. basket RD 121985, 1889, in an unusual marbled colour.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
interesting piece, and as usual I suspect the Registration was to protect the shape, which  was the most common purpose of a registration.         The shape of the basket is certainly unusual - great looking piece.
Unfortunately I can't provide a pic - at least not at the moment - of the image submitted originally to the Board of Trade.
I'm probably going to Kew some time later next week, so can look if you wish.

I take it you've been through the books of Sheila Murray, Colin Lattimore and Raymond Slack?     
As far as I can see, CH doesn't include this colour.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Re: A rare Greener & Co. basket RD 121985, 1889, in an unusual marbled colour.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »
Thank you, Paul.

I would certainly like to see the design representation, please. I will add the details to the GMB lookup request shortly.

I no longer have a copy of  Colin Lattimore’s book to refer to, but I can find no reference to the orange-brown marbled glass in Muuray, slack or Hajdamach.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
rather late in the day, but here is the Kew image for this basket, and as usual it is the outline shape only that is being Registered.               
Must admit that browny-orange marbled colour is very attractive and doubtless very rare.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you for showing the design representation, Paul.

Fred.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Here is our Amber one.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you for showing this, Mike.

Fred.