No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood 'Fledgling' in Lilac.  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Wedgwood 'Fledgling' in Lilac.
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »
unmarked, but quite distinctive with the fissure down the chest, and am sure the colour is lilac  -  had the impression this colour not as common as most of the others, but could be wrong.
According to Susan Tobin, the 'Fledglings' carry the factory code SG 429.

Hope this doesn't encourage another argument about Wedgwood colours, but just interested in hearing if I'm correct about lilac or whether it's just as common as any of the others. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Wedgwood 'Fledgling' in Lilac.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
Hi Paul  have you tried testing it for Neodymium?  I have 2 Wedgwood elephants with this lilac coloured head, and a squirrel which are neodymium, so might well be worth trying.  :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »
I also have a Neodymium bird which I have always believed could be Wedgwood, but as there are neither markings nor label, I can only go by the shape of the eye and general gut feel I have. The tail on this is different and it could be that it is a Scandinavian piece.
However,  the ellies and squirrel are definitely lilac Wedgwood glass
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
and here's me thinking "no replies and I'm unloved on the GMB"  -  sorry Rosie, I don't have a neodymium torch  ;D ;D

Remind me, what do I do to test for neodymium  -  is it compare the colour in daylight and fluorescent tube light?? .............  and am I reading you right - are you saying that all Wedgwood 'lilac' is neodymium?

I don't see any birds in Susan Tobin's book that resemble your 'downturned' tailed example  -  so think you're correct in suggesting Scandinavian.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
have just looked at the colour change, using transmitted light, when comparing a fluorescent tube with an ordinary light bulb, and the former seems to drain the colour and leave the bird a sort of greyish shade.
The ordinary electric bulb heightens the colour and makes it look a rich lilac.

So I guess my 'fledgling' is neodymium  -  so thanks for that Rosie. :)

Don't think I've previously seen a lilac Wedgwood animal, so guess they're more scarce than the usual colour range.   

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
Yes it does sound like Neodymium Paul, and although I am not certain that my little bird is Wedgwood,  I am not ruling it out until I have seen another in this same downturned tail shape with a label that says otherwise.

Susan Tobin does not show any neodymium glass pieces,  however they did make them and I am always on the lookout for other pieces.  They also made many multicolour speckled birds and animals that do not appear in the listings in her book, so maybe it was 'fun time' for the glass artists??
Rosie.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
There is a mention of lilac and alexandrite colours here, dont know if you would need fluorescent light to tell them apart:  http://www.ronaldstennettwillson.com/Candlesticks_Sandringham.html

John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:06:22 PM »
An interesting site indeed John, and yes in answer to your question, I would always resort to fluorescent light , if only just to reassure the neodymium content.

No intention to hijack your thread Paul,  but:
Interestingly,  the final sentence where it says: 'and again some variation within the main colours, probably due to the colourings being hand mixed.' may have given us the definitive answer to Emmi's Wedgwood Dolphin appearing a little darker than some other Topaz pieces.

Rosie.

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »
I have a beautiful lilac/pink polar bear - have never checked if it is neodymium. Will do so next time he's out of the box in the shed.  ;D
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
That does look very like the colour Cranberry that Wedgwood produced Jak.  I have a cat and a pair of ellies in that colour.

It is worth checking your Polar bear for colour change, but all my excitement of thinking these were neodymium when I got them was unfounded,  then I read Susan Tobin's colour chart and saw that they were Cranberry.

But I am lucky to have them as they are a nice pair of ellies and the cat is the less usual style and is often mistaken for other makes.

Apologies for the poor quality of the cat picture,  but I was in haste to post it here. :(
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand