No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Powell / Whitefriars wrought iron stands query  (Read 530 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Powell / Whitefriars wrought iron stands query
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »
Evans, chapter 2, when mentioning Powell [wrought] iron stands, in a footnote adds The old glassworks employed a blacksmith from the late 1870s until they were closed in the early 1920s.

The British Museum here notes The iron mounts were forged at the Whitefriars Glassworks, using the same furnaces.   Where did they get this extra information?   I can't find it in Evans, Jackson, or anywhere else.   It paints a wonderful picture of a harassed blacksmith with an anvil on wheels and a trolley full of tools trying to find a free space around the glass furnaces!

Any ideas?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Powell / Whitefriars wrought iron stands query
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »
In your BM link Bernard, their 'Bibliography' quotes two pages from Jackson - Nos. 101 and 155, where the author provides a series of b. & w. pictures which are quoted as being from a 'James Powell & Sons 1880s
Photograph Album' - and these pictures would appear to now be in the possession of The Corning Museum of Glass.          None of this information actually states metalwork by Powell, so wouldn't have thought the BM based their attribution for 'ironwork made by Powell' solely on these pictures, and think there must be more to it than this.               Always possible there was/is additional text accompanying the b. & w. pix which not shown in Jackson.

Why don't you send the BM an email and request a little more in the way of positive information :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
Bernard ,I don't know if you can contact  Harvey or willie from the country seat as they seem to be in retirement.
 I am sure they know a lot about this subject.
a few years ago I saw various bits of wrought iron that were thought to be made by whitefriars blacksmiths.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 04:37:47 AM »
Paul — Apologies.   I wasn't querying Whitefriars' production of wrought iron mounts at all.   I believe it firmly established, from the mid 1870s for lighting, from the late 1870s for vessels.   We even have the names of the blacksmith and his boy.

What I was querying was the BM text "using the same furnaces".   I should have made this more clear.   I was hoping that someone might know how the BM came to this conclusion, before contacting them with information to back up a possible correction.

Essi — thanks.   I will try to get in touch.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
not a problem Bernard - hope you eventually get the answer you need.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand