No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart on BBC Antiques Roadshow  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart on BBC Antiques Roadshow
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
This episode was recorded in the summer of 2013, and has a four minute section on some of my Monart collection.
Below is a letter with the relative details.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Monart on BBC Antiques Roadshow
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
Great to see some of your pieces Gary - I'm still a big fan of the bluey / silver mica vase!
Something sounded familiar about "when I first started collecting I'd buy any Monart - even the damaged pieces"!!

Bet you were pleased with the valuation  ;D ;D ;)
Roberta

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »
Gary — it is always a pleasure to see a group of interesting Monart, but yours took my breath away.   In particular I love the fabulous Deco ceiling lamp shade with the hooks.   It made me go all misty-eyed!

One query — is the little ashtray/pintray at the front your 1936 Perth Curling piece?   Have you found out any more since the very interesting discussion on it some three years ago, see here?

Grateful thanks for an amazing display,

Bernard C.  8)

ps — for those short of time, Gary's piece starts about 40 minutes into the programme.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
Michael called me through to see this when it was on last night, and I knew it was coming up because you'd mentioned it. :)
Lovely to see YOU Gary, as well as your glass - much of which looked quite familiar...  ;D

it was very fortunate that you had such a lovely sunny day, which really brought the glass to life in all its glory for the cameras.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:50 PM »
That ginger jar was incredible , wonderful stuff great collection  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
I liked the big purply bubbly whatever-it-is with the knopped lid, I don't think I've seen it here before though. (hint, hint, Gary!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for their positive comments, it is appreciated.
Great to see some of your pieces Gary - I'm still a big fan of the bluey / silver mica vase!
Something sounded familiar about "when I first started collecting I'd buy any Monart - even the damaged pieces"!!

Bet you were pleased with the valuation  ;D ;D ;)

When I decide to sell my Monart collection you can have first refusal on the vase.
The valuation was a pleasant surprise.

Gary — it is always a pleasure to see a group of interesting Monart, but yours took my breath away.   In particular I love the fabulous Deco ceiling lamp shade with the hooks.   It made me go all misty-eyed!

One query — is the little ashtray/pintray at the front your 1936 Perth Curling piece?   Have you found out any more since the very interesting discussion on it some three years ago, see here?

Grateful thanks for an amazing display,

Bernard C.  8)

ps — for those short of time, Gary's piece starts about 40 minutes into the programme.
It is the Perth Curling pin dish.
About a year after the discussion, I met a member of the Perth Curling Club, the only info he believed all the archives from the original Perth Curling were lost when the Perth Ice Rink moved premises over 25 years ago.

That ginger jar was incredible , wonderful stuff great collection  ;D ;D
The ginger jar did look good in the sun
I liked the big purply bubbly whatever-it-is with the knopped lid, I don't think I've seen it here before though. (hint, hint, Gary!)
It is a bath salt jar and lid, will post some images later in the week.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »
I shall look forward to that! :)
It is an unusual thing, isn't it? (Even for Monart.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
yup enjoyed watching the programme and seeing the glass sparkling away in the sunshine , although i have to say the valuation was on the high side(unless there was other pieces that wasn't shown on the screen) though i know the roadshows prices are meant to be for insurance purposes for replacing the items , id say even when the prices were at their highest  years back  it would have still been high  , if it were correct then i many other collectors will be  multi millionaires  ;D oh and favourite piece for me was shape MG very nice and quite a rare shape
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
yup enjoyed watching the programme and seeing the glass sparkling away in the sunshine , although i have to say the valuation was on the high side(unless there was other pieces that wasn't shown on the screen) though i know the roadshows prices are meant to be for insurance purposes for replacing the items , id say even when the prices were at their highest  years back  it would have still been high  , if it were correct then i many other collectors will be  multi millionaires  ;D oh and favourite piece for me was shape MG very nice and quite a rare shape
Valuations are an integral part of the Antiques Roadshow, the viewers expect one to be given. But it is only person view, no matter the person in question is  well respected and knowledgeable on Monart. The value of any piece of Monart is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, so I don't pay much heed to valuations from auction house or Antiques Roadshow. Though in the main they are not far off with their valuations.
The MG is nice and fairly rare shape, the sun did show the pieces at their best.

I shall look forward to that! :)
It is an unusual thing, isn't it? (Even for Monart.)

Not a common shape though it was made in the pre and post war eras.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand