No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jaroslav Brychta figurine  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
Jaroslav Brychta figurine
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:36:23 AM »
Hi!

I managed to get hold of a Jaroslav Brychta figurine the other week. It came from a woman whos ex's grandparents brought it with them when they fled from Czechoslovakia. I know it's in a 1950's Zelezny Brod catalogue. Anyway, I never thought I would find one but super glad I did! When you handled them they feel completely different from modern figurines, they're really heavy for their size. They must be rare?

Best regards
Emil

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
Re: Jaroslav Brychta figurine
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »
Hi Emil

wow what a nice thing ! Rare i would say and looks like in perfect condition....which makes it all that more desirable.
Once again a great find.

best norman

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
What a wonderful find Emil.  I did see two of these on eBay a few months ago,  but sadly missed the bidding.  They were on German eBay and did go for a substantial price.

It is the only time I have seen them on eBay for sale and so you most certainly have a rare and wonderful piece of glass there.  <<sigh>>
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:23:59 AM »
Norman: It's in mint condition. I was really suspicious that it would have some repairs or fragments broken off but I can't find any.

Rosie: I've never seen them before either and as a former czech glass collector I've really looked for them.

I bought a second figure as well from the same lady but when it arrived it had a chunk of glass missing so that was a bit of a downer. It's a hula dancer btw.

Best regards
Emil

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
Just remembered I have one of these in the Zoo. With some differences, that might be size related, what size is yours? This one is 106mm high.

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Mine is slightly less than 10 cm.

Best regards
Emil

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
In which case the commonality must be the fable figure itself, any ideas? Gretel perhaps.

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
I'm thinking it's a traditional Czech outfit, like a celebration of traditional values and the common people.

Best regards
Emil

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44:09 PM »
I wonder if this might have been by Miloslav Klinger? 

I've seen very similar referred to in someone's thesis as being M Klinger.  Obviously there may have been cross-over of figure designs perhaps but just noting for future reference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand