No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy glass bookends - ID = Cambridge Glass  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Heavy glass bookends - ID = Cambridge Glass
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
Hi,
Unfortunately these are damaged but still very striking.
They're about  6" by 5" & each weigh about 1.5kg.
I'd love to know who likely made them if anyone can tell.

Thank you
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Heavy glass bookends
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
On behalf of sendhandfran, I have copied the set of images from the eBay listing and have resized and optimised three of them to add as permanent images here.

(I will look at tidying up the thread later)
KevinH

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »
These at least strongly resemble Cambridge (U.S.) #511 bookends in what we call light emerald circa 1927-29. Same stepped base, same curves, etc. & Cambridge has a London showroom from the mid 20s up until WWII.

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
Oh Sue, Kevin, thank you :) Im, hopefully doing an IT course soon, i need it, lol, I haven't a clue how you did that, but Thank you both.
I've found partial success with Puffin, a free app browser. It, along with all the others I tried didn't work at first, but I've been able to down load an image, 1 at a time though, so it's not perfect. I guess (I hope) Apples Tech Guys are on the problem.
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
Thanks Ohio. I almost forgot about these :) maybe American eh, nice. I thought they were likely 20/30s. Are they deliberately different heights, would you think, or more likely mould variations?
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »
They made two different types of the 511, curved back like yours & straight back & there may have been mold base variations as they are early. Also they must have had a limited production run because we don't see them much in the U.S. however not that unusual as its well documented that some Cambridge designs that didn't sell favorably here in the U.S. sold very well in the London showroom over the years. Ones like yours are difficult, to say the least, to find. Later on Cambridge went with the Pouter Pigeon, Scotties, Eagle & Lion bookends...figural bookends with better sales results. The London showroom was especially successful with the Cambridge figural flower frogs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand