No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Glass Vase - Please Identify  (Read 9671 times)

Offline rachnathanking

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • UK
Blue Glass Vase - Please Identify
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »
Lovely Blue Oval Vase.

One side has horizontally lined and the other side is vertically lined

It measures 5" high and 4" wide at the widest point and 2.5" wide and the smallest point.

Thanks,

Rachael

Offline SantaR

• Members
    • European Glass
    • USA
Re: Blue Glass Vase - Please Identify
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
Hi there

I have one just like it in Amber.  If you scroll down the attached link about three quarters of the way:

http://www.50-talskeramik.se/2013/09/utstallning-aseda.html

you will see on a bottom shelf what are almost identical to ours except it's an oval rather than having sides.

So I would say that it's Aseda by Bo Borgstrom.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »
I think we've had these on here before and no conclusion was reached. Yours is very different to the Bo Borgstrom one because apart from the different shape your lines are horizontal on one side and vertical on the other rather than all horizontal. I don't think that's close enough for attribution

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
There is an Alsterbro Glasbruk vase in the below link, which appears from the photos to have the same vertical and horizontal lines, however in a different size. The vase also has a Alsterbro paper label attached. I can't work out from the photos if the bases are finished in a similar way..?

http://ebay.eu/1ryk5wo

I do also vaguely recall a very similar vase, which was from Eastern Europe, however, for the life of me can't place it.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
I had a similar one in clear glass which if I remember correctly (it was a long time ago, and I've been unable to find the original posting) could well have been Polish, so that's a possibility.
Anne E.B

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
Just to add a little to this thread while I remember.

I think the murmurings of a possible Polish connection, stem from similar designs by Jan Sylwester Drost for the Zabkowice Glassworks in Poland.  A picture of these designs can be seen in the below link of the 'culture Poland' website (image 4).

For reference the vases shown form part of the collection of the National Museum in Wrocław Poland.

http://culture.pl/en/gallery/eryka-and-jan-drost-creators-of-polish-pressed-glass-image-gallery

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »
These are Krosno  glass I've got two and a couple of years ago I saw a labeled one.
Chris Parry

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »
Thank you for taking a look Chris.

Further to your post, looking online the only labelled Alsterbro examples I can seem to find are green versions, such as these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/220535662/alsterbro-sweden-1960s-modernist-pressed

Out of interest would you happen to know if the one shown in the below link is Krosno production / Alsterbro or possibly another maker altogether (slightly different rib count and size)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Alsterbro-Rib-Moulded-blue-Cased-Glass-Vase-/381242691151

I suspect the recent Krosno examples are likely to have taken influence from Jan Sylwester Drost's original designs.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
I'll put a pick of the two I have, I feel the smaler maybe older and  looks like Rachael's, I'm in Venice at the minute and it's stuffed full of Chinese glass, I get the feeling things are really going to get difficult for all of us in the future, the labelled amber one I saw had a Krosno label on it, I did not buy it as I already had two which are going up for sale when I get back so fingers crossed they might get a positive i d.

After spending today in Murano it's also has a lot of Chinese glass it's either sad or a modern reflection on mass produced goods, you can walk around Murano in about an hour so how on earth could they produce tens of thousands of pieces of glass yearly.
Chris Parry

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »
Thanks Chris, look forward to the pics.

Hope you enjoy your trip. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum