No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted design glass plates. Having trouble finding maker.  (Read 2309 times)

Offline ttsf

• Members
Frosted design glass plates. Having trouble finding maker.
« on: June 03, 2006, 01:59:49 AM »
Hello all. I've been researching this set of plates without any luck. I found a total of four small plates and two divided serving plates. They all measure the same at 6.75" across. The serving pieces have ground and polished bases while the regular plates do not. They show signs of wear so I don't think they are of recent make. Of course, there are no marks. :? Also, would these be considered Art Deco? Thanks for looking and have a safe and fun weekend. Tim

Divided plate:
http://home.pacbell.net/blamont/decodish.jpg
Regular plate:
http://home.pacbell.net/blamont/decodish2.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 04:17:38 AM »
Hi Tim
Long time no see - welcome back.

Whenever I see part frosted wares in a romantic floral I think Mikasa.
This does looks art deco in style but some deco styles were still being produced in the 1950's and even later. I don't know if Mikasa were dealing in glass at this time.

In the 1930's, Mikasa was established as an international trading company based in Secaucus, New Jersey.
Named in honor of Prince Mikasa, the youngest brother of Emperor Hirohito, Mikasa soon became one of the most recognized Japanese brand names in the West.
The company itself never attempted to "manufacture" any of its dinnerware. Rather, the Mikasa branded items were imported from Japan, Ireland, England, France, and Germany.
By the 1950's customer requests were pouring in from all parts of the country, and department stores could not shelve enough stock to meet demand. By the early 1960's, Mikasa had established a reputation as "the pioneer of American casual."
The 1970's brought new retail store locations. Showrooms and warehouses appeared in Canada, Europe, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. In an effort to stay as competitive as possible during the 1980's, Mikasa added crystal stemware, stainless steel flatware and other household accessories to its product offerings.
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001OPRZI

We do know that at least some of Mikasa's frosted glassware items were made by Walther of Germany.

I had thought maybe it was an Ice Cream set but not if
"They all measure the same at 6.75" across"
!!!
The Serving plates should be larger
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ttsf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 05:00:52 PM »
Hi Pete! Thanks for remembering me. It's funny you should mention Mikasa as my first hunch on this set was Japanese. (The diminutive size, the divided serving pieces, etc...) Thanks for posting the info about company. I didn't know that Mikasa had been around that long. As for being an ice cream set, they wouldn't be too efficent. The divided dish is only an inch deep and the plates  1/2 inch. You'd have to eat pretty quick and definitely no chocolate syrup! :)

Thanks again for the kind words and your knowledgeable input. Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand