No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Head in a Swirl, by any Chance?  (Read 19061 times)

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Head in a Swirl, by any Chance?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »
David
Just revisited your site again,  can't believe how much it has grown in such a short time! Well done!
I notice that you don't have a picture of a rounded 3-sided nut dish,  I think I have one of these in the calypto pattern would you like a picture of it?  Please let me know.

Did I really buy it?  Well it just sort of jumped into my hand and adopted me, who was I to refuse! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 02:17:09 PM »
:D:D:D

When folk are talking about the gilding overlapping, could they look to see if the overlap is actually on a thin border of ground and polished edge that lies between the side and rim proper of the piece?
My bread basket has such a border, but that might be a feature of the rim being deeply curved.
Looking at a bit of Calypto which does not seem to overlap, it does not have a thin polished border.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »
Night Sky gilding definitely goes on to the top surface. No bevelled edge at all.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 05:45:47 PM »
I think early Chance items gilding may have overlapped gilt. In most cases where this has happened, the gilt seems quite shiny. However, worn gilt probably goes dull and who knows what effect ageing has on it if it wasn't stored away?

Sue, when I talk about overlapping, I mean where the gilt actually comes onto the faces of the glass. The ground face can sometimes be square, with bevels, and even slightly rounded. If you see the web site (Swirl Imitators page, last photo in right column) there is an example that shows what I mean by 'overlapping'.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 06:18:25 PM »
Now for something completely different...
 as some bloke once said.

Radical thinking: I've just gone through a huge amount of Chance glass, and the only items I can find WITH any meaningful, overlapping gilt has the 'Swirl' pattern. All the rest is edge painted: some of it shiny, some quite matte (but in the last case, often a little worn)

So... that being the case, this could mean that ALL 'Swirl' with overlapping gilt is actually another make, like Twist... :shock: Remember, Tony Cartwright was most emphatic that Chance simply painted the edge.

Gulp, that's a bit of a bombshell! But it would explain soooooo many things! 8)

Pat, I forgot to respond properly. Thanks for your praise and I'm so glad people are taking real advantage of the data — but remember this is all our work, not just mine! :D

Just don't ask me to put a frilly pink border onto the web pages :lol:

While I do have one example of the 3-sided nut dish, I would always welcome photos of other patterns, so please feel free to post them. Probably best on the main Chance thread though. :P
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 06:26:34 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"

Frilly gold then :P

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 06:58:14 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Quote from: "DenCill"

Frilly gold then :P

Hmmm........ rub chin, thinking  :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »
David, whilst looking at the reverse swirls yesterday I was thinking there may be more than one maker involved in the pics I have too. There are oddities in centers as well as the edging.  We could do with looking at all the images we have and see which ones have labels and assume pro temps they are Chance and then see what we have that matches or doesn't match those.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 09:16:44 PM »
The problem with this, Anne, is that we don't have many with labels. I doubt whether there'd be many from the 1950s that still have them. However, there may also be some with boxes – assuming they haven't been interchanged with another plate.

We also know certain shapes, going from other known Chance patterns. One problem here is that these were also copied very closely.

Reverse Swirl (counter-clockwise) I believe is a Chance anomaly on some of these examples like the Ruby version (Max's) that demonstrates this.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2006, 09:32:31 PM »
So... that being the case, this could mean that ALL 'Swirl' with overlapping gilt is actually another make, like Twist...

You mention the boxes in your subsequent posting David.  Is it worth getting my swirl box out and photographing it?
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand