No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone have information on BAYEL CRISTAL of France? w/PHOTOS  (Read 11932 times)

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
Does anyone have any information on a glassmaker called Bayel Cristal of France? Is this company still in operation? When did they make paperweights? Are they still making paperweights? The web offers no real information except that Bayel is a city of glass in France and at one point the company was making many vases and small glass culptures, wine goblets and drinking glasses, and Vaseline glass.

My newest purchase is a Bayel sulphide. It has a top facet and five side facets. The white-colored sulphide is of a flower with two leaves that rests over an amber flash base. The underside is star cut. Printed on the underside in block letters is FOUR SEASONS SUMMER and FRANCE. Then in script is Bayel. Then the numbers 1600/2000, which certainly means this is weight #1600 of a run of two thousand.

As always, any help is appreciated. Three images are below.

http://i5.tinypic.com/11jbs0j.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/11jbteg.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/11jbtl2.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Anyone have information on BAYEL CRISTAL of France? w/PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:39:31 PM »
Missed this earlier but just saw your mention of it elsewhere.

Bayel is a confusion as it is the location not the company which is:

G Marquet, Veuve et Fils, Verreries SA.

established in 1666. 340 years old!

Other marks are Fains, Fains Marquot, Cristalleries de Champagne, PAR MVB, Mazolay, Art Vannes.

According to Ivo's book currently known as Royales de Champagne. Website does not work but email is: info AT royaledechampagne.com

Some info in French http://www.barsuraube.net/tourisme/bayel/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 10:11:48 PM »
i think it's a Baccarat weight, made for Bayel Cristal
cheers Ray

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
bayel as baccarat
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 01:03:04 PM »
Thank you. Yes, I noted and understood that Bayel was a town or some such geographic designation. Now, I'd love to know why Baccarat was making paperweights and signing them Bayel. In celebration? Honoring someone? A special event? For an importer/exporter? Ah, the mysteries of paperweights.

Most assuredly, the weight does have all of the hallmarks of a very good, high-end Baccarat sulphide. Heavy, very clear crystal. Beautiful faceting and star cut base. Perfectly centered cameo. This is definitely a high-quality, precision-made paperweight.

I found it at a flea market. No box or papers. Just sitting amidst three typical small Muranos and two obvious even smaller China-made paperweights.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »
Perhaps, Bayel got an order and just outsourced in the same way that Edinburgh Crystal did for their weights.

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:00:09 AM »
I just wanted to add that after following the postings about this paperweight, there was one offered on (where else) ebay!  The price was very fair, so .....  It is a beautiful weight and #1501/2000.  Do you think there might be Spring, Autumn, and Winter out there as well  :lol: ?  Actually, I've seen this weight offered before and passed it over.  I'm glad that wasn't the case this time.  Thank you for sharing!  :D

Best to all ... Lily

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
other seasons
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 02:27:03 AM »
I gather you bought the Bayel made by Baccarat summer sulphide paperweight on eBay. May we know the price you paid?

As for the other seasons (Spring, Autumn, and Winter), I hope all four seasons definitely would have been made. Maybe it was a tribute to Vivaldi. Of course, I've never seen the other three - spring, autumn, winter - and am intrigued as to what the cameo sulphide would be and wonder what flower might represent the season? I wonder if it's safe to assume each season would be a run of 2000, as Summer is.

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 04:06:51 AM »
The Bayel Summer weight was $4.99 + shipping = $10.49.  I agree that there may well be three other seasons out there.  I know I'll be looking.  Spring could be an iris, Winter a poinsettia, Autumn ... ??.  Of course, maybe Summer was not a big seller so the others were never made.  Mystery, mystery.

All the best ... Lily

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
wow
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 02:08:57 PM »
Wow. $4.99 for a paperweight with the kind of quality it has. That's a real steal. Good for you. EBay really is depressing the prices and values of good paperweights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand