No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart lemonade jug  (Read 2084 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Monart lemonade jug
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:15:24 PM »
Okay, i know it's not a jug, but this is what I did get from the auction - a shape Y smallest size XIII  3" "pin dish" in a lovely colourway - I don't know the code but i think it's the same colour as the BB shape in Perth museum.

Base shot was blurred but it has the typical pontil mark and ground outer rim.
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
Okay, i know it's not a jug, but this is what I did get from the auction - a shape Y smallest size XIII  3" "pin dish" in a lovely colourway - I don't know the code but i think it's the same colour as the BB shape in Perth museum.

Base shot was blurred but it has the typical pontil mark and ground outer rim.

nice colourway
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
I committed the cardinal sin, I never viewed or asked for a condition report. There is 3 small bruises on the inside base and 2 very small annealing cracks on the side of the jug.
But I am still well pleased with it, the jug technically has just about everthing you could ask for in a piece of Monart, an applied foot, a coloured applied handle, coloured stripes (20), bubble inclusions and uranium glass.

I believe the colour code is 390 for your pin dish. The same as the OE vase below which I bought along with the jug.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
Yep - I think you are correct - my first thought was that colour code but compared to my bowl in that colour (much subtler colours) it looks a lot brighter, but seeing the pics of your vase it is the same. I still think they were probably together (i.e. came from the same collection) but got put into different lots - if your vase wasn't labelled I don't think Monart would have been mentioned at all !!

I must admit i have also committed that sin and have a couple of unexpected annealing cracks in vases, - but which I still love;  but in the case of the jug it isn't very visible damage and it is such a beautiful and rare piece i don't think it matters too much at all  ;D
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
I committed the cardinal sin, I never viewed or asked for a condition report. There is 3 small bruises on the inside base and 2 very small annealing cracks on the side of the jug.
But I am still well pleased with it, the jug technically has just about everthing you could ask for in a piece of Monart, an applied foot, a coloured applied handle, coloured stripes (20), bubble inclusions and uranium glass.

I believe the colour code is 390 for your pin dish. The same as the OE vase below which I bought along with the jug.
Gary
tut tut I got condition report  which stated all damage to jug and the bucket vase , I like the fact the handle is coloured instead of clear
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
I take it back, the condition report I received was correct, well that makes me feel a whole lot better, even though it's a lovely jug.    I also have a Monart cream jug, it's just 3" tall, unfortunately I DON'T have a sugar bowl  ;D.

Did you notice the difference between the two shape HI's where the handle is joined, I believe one is a variant.
Mary

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
If you give me your jug Mary I am sure I can find a sugar bowl for you.........in about ten years ;)
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 07:25:18 PM »
I take it back, the condition report I received was correct, well that makes me feel a whole lot better, even though it's a lovely jug.    I also have a Monart cream jug, it's just 3" tall, unfortunately I DON'T have a sugar bowl  ;D.

Did you notice the difference between the two shape HI's where the handle is joined, I believe one is a variant.
Mary
You got me looking at the handles, in my one the handle is attached at the top of the jug where as in your one is it further down the jug. There is another difference in the top of the jugs.
Your jug has a deeper angle from the spout to the back of jug than my one.
The first image is reproduced with the kind permission of Mary.
The jug shown on page 67 of YSART GLASS and listed as HI appears wrong IMHO, it more resembles VH.
I love both them creamers.
Gary

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »
Yes Keith and I know which jug you'd prefer - but I don't think so.     The creamer is really nice, but the HI is really rather special.     I know Salvador was a craftsman, but I always think when a piece has been perfectly executed it might well be a piece by Paul.     Now I'll wait to be shot down in flames!!!!!

Mary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
I believe handles can be quite difficult to apply.
I asked Allistair Malcolm to make a claret jug for me, we designed the shape together and he made it - but the first time he tried to get the handle on - which has to be done after the body has been made, it went all wonky and took itself off into two loops rather than one.
Allistair is by no means an inexperienced maker, he can do things with glass nobody has even thought of doing before.

He had to make another jug for me, to get the handle right. I believe the one that went wrong is on display in Broadfield House.

So I would think it might just be a matter of how the glass happened to be functioning on the day, with that maker, whether or not a handle would be applied in any uniform or consistent manner. It's not as if jugs were any sort of main production at Monart - they might just be inexperienced at the complexities of handle formation.
It would be too much to expect angles to be the same or, placings of the top and bottom parts either.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand