No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare Davidson blue pearline wall pocket RD 96945 of 31 March 1881  (Read 1076 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A rare Davidson blue pearline glass wall pocket, marked with the RD number 96945 of 31 March 1888.  Its dimensions are 16.5 cms long x 8 cms wide x 5.5 cms deep at the top and it weighs 206 grams.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

In this particular example it appears that the tip of the 'pocket' has been ground down at some point, though I am unsure whether is how it was originally made or if it was done at some point afterwards.

I think that this is the only example of a Davidson wall pocket that I can remember seeing, and certainly the only example of a wall pocket to RD 96945 that I have seen.

Does anyone have other examples to show of the RD 96945 wall pocket, please, in this or any other colour (particularly yellow pearline)?

Does anyone have examples to show of Davidson wall pockets in any other designs (registered or unregistered), please?

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
Re: Rare Davidson blue pearline wall pocket RD 96945 of 31 March 1881
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:36:12 AM »
Hello,Fred,

I have had one of these "Richelieu" wall pockets for some time and did wonder at first about the bottom.    I also thought it may have been ground down because of damage.  After seeing a photo of this one belonging to Kevin and Joanne I formed the opinion that it is the way it was produced.  Still looking for a primrose example.

Regards, Margaret.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Rare Davidson blue pearline wall pocket RD 96945 of 31 March 1881
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:08:37 AM »
The grinding is probably from the way it came out of the mould

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum