No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dino Martens Oriente Vase  (Read 1910 times)

Offline kathyx7306

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • uk
Dino Martens Oriente Vase
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie who would like to share my lovely story with you. My late father bought a funny looking vase about 10 years ago for no more than £1 in a second hand shop in Manchester, UK. He loved this big old vase and always joked with us that it was 'worth something'. He sadly passed away in 2009 and his big old vase was used as a doorstop, a vessel for storing plastic shopping bags and sometimes the family dog used it as a lamp post! In 2011 my sister saw a similar design in a furniture auction and after a bit of research we came upon the name and design, Dino Martens 'Oriente'. After a very long journey it has recently been authenticated by Christie's London and is included in an upcoming auction this month. Well, well. My dad wasn't wrong was we? We know my dad would have sold it too if he had known it's worth and so that's why we decided to sell. I've grown to love the vase and the fabulous journey she has took us on and hope you don't mind me sharing our tale. I've included a link to the catalogue, page 17, so you can see how gorgeous she is.  :)
http://www.christies.com/salelanding/index.aspx?intSaleID=22412

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Dino Martens Oriente Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum Cathy.

Your dog has impeccable taste... I would be tickled to think you did not wash the vase before taking it to Christies. :-X

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Dino Martens Oriente Vase
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:33:51 PM »
Wow, what a vase - and looks good as new too!
hope she does well at the auction for you.
Roberta

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand