No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schaumglas  (Read 3101 times)

Sklounion

Schaumglas
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »
Hi,
Please could anyone indicate what technique was used for Schaumglas?
Is it something that could loosely be described as puleguso? If not, please indicate why.
This is a query closely related to very early Emanuel Beranek production.

TIA,

regards,

Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Schaumglas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:04:30 AM »
According to Ivo's book, "Glass fact file" Schaumglas and I quote,
" Type of art glass with fine foamy bubbles made by Loetz in the 1930's. Similar to some WMF Ikora and Puelgoso."
end quote. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Schaumglas
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »
Schaumglas (auch Foamglas genannt) ist ein mit Gasbläschen durchsetztes sehr leichtes, sogar schwimmfähiges Glas. Schaumglas wird aus Glaspulver und Kohlenstoff hergestellt. Bei der Herstellung bilden sich kleine Gasbläschen im Glas die Kohlenstoffdioxid und Schwefelwasserstoff enthalten.Der Schwefelwasserstoff ist verantwortlich dafür, dass beim Schneiden oder Brechen von Schaumglas ein fauliger Geruch entsteht.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaumglas

Translation
Schaumglas (also called  Foamglas ) is a very light, even buoyant glass interspersed with gas vesicles. Schaumglas is made of glass powder and carbon. During the production small gas vesicles form contained in the glass the carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide is responsible for the fact that when cutting or breaking of Schaumglas a faul smell develops.

I had understood Schaumglass to apply specifically to the Loetz and WMF glass consisting of
least 3 layers of glass, the clear inner layer that has overlain randomly applied threads of "foamglass" and a clear overlay

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/y205/m04/abu0140/s06
as shown in pic 5 in that article by Orville Burg.

Whereas 'Pulegoso' can be applied to glass where the main body of the piece is all or largely made from "foamy" glass as in the early Beranek piece shown here : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7417008674

But I could be wrong !!!
Pete

Sklounion

Schaumglas
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:33:33 AM »
Thanks, to both of you.

Now, the reason for the question is that when the Beraneks set up production, some, though not all was schaumglas, and I have been trying to link this, to Beranek's known work places, prior to Skrdlovice. I have an idea, based on labels for glass produced for Drustevbni Prace, that Emanuel at least, probably learnt the technique at S.Reich's at Krasno.

This would indicate at sometime in the period 1938-41. I have seen it written somewhere that Beranek's early work "was poor quality, as it was full of bubbles", tho right now cannot remember the source.

Your article from Orville Burg, is interesting in that is uses the term schaumglas for the three-layered vase, but foam-glass (the English translation, according to the ICG's Dictionary of Glass-making) for the bubbly glass applied. This rather suggests that the term can be applied to a vase wihich includes glass of this type, as well as to items made solely of schaumglas.

Regards,

Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Schaumglas
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 05:32:17 PM »
I think that the proper terminology for Pulegoso in German would be Schaumglas. What I read here is that Beranek learned the standard foam glass technique, and somewhere along the way someone got lost in translation.

"Loetz Schaumglas" is of exceptional quality, and clear cased just like the WMF Ikora it is often compared to. The difference between single bubbly and clear cased bubbly is unmistakable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand